Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Calling All Inventors. Fridge as dehumidifier.

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:04:48 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Winston fired this volley in
:

I wonder where all that extra gas is going? :/

Winston, you're a mook.

"a foolish, insignificant, or contemptible person" ?

Sorry Lloyd? All three at once? Was it something I said?

You don't perceive how oddball, eccentric, and totally IMPRACTICAL your
waste-of-energy refrigerator-dehumidifier is.

I accept oddball and eccentric but 'impractical' and 'waste-of-energy'
I disagree with. Please tell me why you feel the idea is either
impractical or a waste of energy?

You're like the Walter Minto of energy conservation!

Walter Minto (1753 €“ 1796)

"Minto constantly fought for the cause of improving Americas colleges
and improving America intellectually. He encouraged everyone to further
their education."

"Walter Minto was a great mathematician, astronomer, educator, and
patriot. With a meager salary of 200 ‚¤ per year and free housing in
Nassau Hall, Minto served Princeton as the first real mathematics
professor, treasurer, and clerk of the Board of Trustees. When Minto died
in 1796, it took three people to replace him."

I could never live up to *that*. You greatly overestimate me, Lloyd.

Now, you don't perceive how mineral build-up in a water heater - or
minor leaks in the plumbing - can affect efficiency. Just a _drip_ from
a hot water faucet can affect your daily use. ("I wonder where all that
extra gas is going?")

Ah but I do understand the effect of mineral buildup or minor leaks.
Still I wonder why the effect of my conservation effort should be wiped
out and reversed in a few months, from spring to summer. Just asking.

Please pay attention to basic principles. If it costs more energy than
it saves, it is NOT an economy.

I agree. Why do you feel that this would cost more energy than it saves,
though?
The fridge will convert no additional power (to heat) over the same
time and the tiny additional power needed to operate the necessary pump
would be paid back many many times in the comfort of the homeowner.
If the residents of the home delayed turning on the AC because of the
lowered humidity in the house for just a few minutes per month, the cost
of powering the little pump would be paid back. The rest is 'gravy'.

If you don't pay attention to the
intended designs of machines by maintaining them, they become less
efficient.

Well, yes. That's why I maintain them.
What has that got to do with anything?

Are you feeling all right Lloyd?