Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Atomic CLock with pure 120v ac?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:10:12 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Why do all the atomic clocks require batteries?

I think you mean WWVB 60KHz clocks. Atomic clocks are cesium and
rubidium standards.

Makes no sence that I woul dbuy aclock to not have to reset
the time just so I can play with the batteries instead.

The problem is that consumer "atomic" clocks only update roughly once
per day. The receiver turns on, usually in the middle of the night
when 60KHz propagation is best, update, and turn off to conserve
battery power. There are continuously operating WWVH receivers
available, but not at consumer prices. The batteries also act as a
UPS, allowing the clock to continue operating without waiting for
night time for WWVB to update the clock.

Anyone know of a simple analog atomic (naval time by radio) wall clock that
uses only 120v ac and no adaptor? (Online specs?) Much obliged.

Heath GC-1000 WWV receiver. I have one that I'm slowly rebuilding.
Nifty and rather unique device.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgNtlpSumHg
They sell for about $230 on eBay. An unbuilt kit sold for $700.

I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve, but if you don't
like replacing a single AA battery every year, you might consider
replacing it with a rechargeable battery and solar charger. These
already exist:
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/8112w/index.php

For the retro effect, I suggest a wind up or hand crank type generator
for charging the battery.
http://www.k-tor.com/hand-crank-generator/

If that's too much effort, I suggest the atomic water clock:
http://www.prlog.org/10596274-the-new-atomic-h2o-clock.html
Just add fresh water every 6 months.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558