Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Calling All Inventors. Fridge as dehumidifier.

"mike" wrote in message
On 6/22/2012 3:40 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I looked into building one of these.

It's condensed 250mL in 25 hours so far, pretty close to the loose
spec of half a pint a day. The reservoir doesn't drain completely so
that initial 50mL included some unknown zero error.

I'm happy if it can keep humidity at or below 80% where the bare steel
of my machine tools doesn't rust. It's no match for a window A/C or
Freon dehumidifier but it's cheaper and very portable, and another toy
to play with. I've used thermoelectric coolers on MOPA laser diodes.

Bare Peltier modules aren't cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Peltier-Thermo.../dp/B000TA58FI
I bought the $40 HD unit after seeing a module with heatsinks in the
surplus store for $25, and figuring how much sheetmetal work it would
take to enclose and mount it.

They claim it's effective to 1100 cubic feet. My bathroom is less than
half that big, but contains liquid water I can't completely sponge off
the walls and curtain after a shower. I'd say it meets its restricted
performance claims.
"For use in spaces such as wardrobes, closets, kitchen cabinets,
storage rooms, baby rooms, etc "

jsw