Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Helicoil" installation without the insert tool? Need advice

wrote ...

No luck in fumbling thru with it. I tried to twist the insert to
reduce the OD, I tried to deform the end of the insert to make it
undersize, I tried to install the insert backwards, I threaded the
insert on a short 1/4-28 SHCS to use as an install tool. Looking
in
the McMaster catalog, I see that the installation tool for the
1/4-28
is a winder style to reduce the OD of the insert for $32+. For
those
of you who use these regularily and know what you are doing -
advice
please. Obviously, I am not overly interested in spending more
money
to install one insert.

How about a 3/16" dowel with a saw slot across the end?

Or the equivalent made of metal, if you can.

jsw