Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Calling All Inventors. Fridge as dehumidifier.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
I modified my window AC in the living room. The condensate now runs
out a
drain, through a PVC tube, and onto the ground. Instead of slinger
ring and
making the condensor coil attract dust.

Christopher A. Young

I did that to a 1970's A/C that's too heavy to safely carry outside to
hose out every few years. It had developed a musty smell and no longer
cooled very well and my father gifted me with it. I stripped it naked
in the driveway for a good soapy shower that cured everything, then
drilled a drain hole in the baseplate beside the condenser so I
wouldn't have to repeat it.

I built a snug-fitting removeable shelf for the window that supports
the A/C from the window sill, rather than the weak aluminum storm
window frame. The shelf is level and the bar under the A/C tilts it
enough to run the condensate water to the outside.

The next A/C I inherited is light enough to carry so I didn't add the
drain. The slinger spreads water on the condenser coil to cool it more
efficiently.

jsw