Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Plastic model cleaning

I know that this doesn't relate to electronics but there are so many
talented people on his group that I've received help from over the
years I thought I'd ask. I really didn't know where to pose this to
otherwise, so I apologize for the intrusion.

One of my hobbies is plastic model building. Years ago I built a 2 1/2
foot model of the sailing ship the Cutty Sark. It was a beautiful
model with all the rigging, threads, sails, little men on the ropes,
etc. Sadly over the years it has fallen into serious disrepair. There
are now some loose parts, and it is now completely covered with a
thick layer of dust. I'm not really sure how to remove this dirty dust
without disturbing the delicate rigging, ropes, ladders,etc. I thought
of spraying it down first with something like 409 or Fantastic to
possibly loosen it, and then trying to mist it gently with the garden
hose. I also thought of perhaps spraying the model with the cleaner
first to loosen the dust and then dunking it in my pool to wash it
off. I don't know how either of these schemes might work, and I don't
know what either of these might do to the rigging, ropes, and
especially the decals either. I also don't want to lose any loose
parts in the pool or on the ground when I either dunk the model, or
spray it off with the hose. If anyone has ever has had to deal with
this, if you might have any ideas, or might know of a more appropriate
place to post this question I would really appreciate hearing from
you. And again I'm sorry for the inappropriate post. Thanks, Lenny