Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Plastic model cleaning

I know that this doesn't relate to electronics but there are so many
talented people on his group that I've received help from over the
years I thought I'd ask. I really didn't know where to pose this to
otherwise, so I apologize for the intrusion.

One of my hobbies is plastic model building. Years ago I built a 2 1/2
foot model of the sailing ship the Cutty Sark. It was a beautiful
model with all the rigging, threads, sails, little men on the ropes,
etc. Sadly over the years it has fallen into serious disrepair. There
are now some loose parts, and it is now completely covered with a
thick layer of dust. I'm not really sure how to remove this dirty dust
without disturbing the delicate rigging, ropes, ladders,etc. I thought
of spraying it down first with something like 409 or Fantastic to
possibly loosen it, and then trying to mist it gently with the garden
hose. I also thought of perhaps spraying the model with the cleaner
first to loosen the dust and then dunking it in my pool to wash it
off. I don't know how either of these schemes might work, and I don't
know what either of these might do to the rigging, ropes, and
especially the decals either. I also don't want to lose any loose
parts in the pool or on the ground when I either dunk the model, or
spray it off with the hose. If anyone has ever has had to deal with
this, if you might have any ideas, or might know of a more appropriate
place to post this question I would really appreciate hearing from
you. And again I'm sorry for the inappropriate post. Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
[...]

An insulated wand attached to a domestic ioniser output , perhaps with the
diodes reversed for opposite polarity ? Would keep everything dry if it
worked.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Following the medical rule of "First, do no harm", let's start with what not
to do.

One does not clean dirty LPs with plain water, because it can turn dirt into
a gummy mess.

Similarly, one should be certain the initial solvent or cleaning agent will
not convert the dust and dirt into a caked-on mass.

It seems likely the decals will fall victim to whatever cleaning scheme you
choose.

I like your idea of dousing (with cleaner), then dunking (in the pool). I
was going to suggest a citrus-based cleaner (such as Curtisol), but these
attack polystyrene and some paints.

Perhaps you should start with a mild cleaner (Glass Plus), then work your
way up the strength scale, using stronger cleaners only where needed.

Regardless, it would be a good idea to perform preliminary tests on a
less-visible area of the model.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

How about an ultrasonic cleaning bath ? That's what they use to clean
delicate jewellery. I guess it would have to be a fairly big one, but I
fixed one not long ago that would have been big enough to take a model that
size, so maybe some local company might have one ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 08:59:26 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

[...]

I'd use a technique similar to what I think that the archival art
restorers use, namely use a very mild surfactant and work on one small
area at a time. Soap, dunk, and swoosh is for dinner plates and
silverware, not something like this.

Start with the tops of the masts and work down, working on an area no
larger than, say, your thumbnail. Wear an Optivisor if you have it (if
not, get one! ;-). Use an airbrush to apply just enough surfactant to
just the right spot. Acid brush, dental picks, q-tips, and patience but
when you're done, it'll be worth it.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

In one respect I like the Archival art approach. But even doing a
small area at a time in this way, I think that inevitably dirty water
with some caked on dust will find it's way down the mast to the deck
below. To complicate things, it seems also as though this is a sort of
"greasy" dust that will need some loosening in some way first. That's
why I thought of the cleaner first. I guess I'm going to have to jump
in somewhere. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I guess I'm going to have to jump in somewhere.

In 20 years you'll be able to buy a jar of cleaner-nanobots and dump them on
the model.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:36:09 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to jump in somewhere.

In 20 years you'll be able to buy a jar of cleaner-nanobots and dump them on
the model.

True, but nanobots will replicate themselves endlessly and bury you in
grey goo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

I don't have the slightest idea how to clean the plastic model. I
would be tempted to dump it a pail of alcohol and soapy water, shake
well, and blow dry it with an air compressor. If there are any badly
glued parts or encrusted goo, that should shake it loose. However, if
any of the paint, decals, dyes, or glue is attacked by either solvent,
you'll have a mess.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have great luck with Mean Green. Spray it on, let it do it's job. I
clean dirty fans this way. Works fantastic. BTW I usually use a shower
head in my bathtub for these things.

Edward Morris
wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

In 20 years I'll be very grateful to still be around to look at it.
Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 17, 8:59*am, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
[...]

Surprisingly, distilled water, not de-ionized, sprayed on as a
flushing action. Loose parts will come off, but I've only seen paper
affected by this cleaning process. Even windows with unknown films on
them slowly but surely come clean. Maybe three/four times or more but
just keep going.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I guess that I'm especially concerned about the decals coming off. But
if I do use water that may be inevitable. I don't know. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

gently retrieve loose decals and preserve.

hope all goes well and you clean up this model,
so you can post a picture of the finished results.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:11:46 -0400, Nelson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:20:03 -0400, Robert Macy wrote
[...]

Tagging on... sorry. In the spirit of this group, how about putting it
in front of a big speaker connected to an audio oscillator to blast the
dust off?

More tagging on: Hang/mount it upside down, if you do acoustic cleanng.
The choice of recording 'artist' for the blasting is left up to the OP.
I don't favor 'music' that could perform this function.

Jonesy

Cleaning smoke smell from plastic Mike Harrison UK diy 3 May 25th 08 12:18 AM
Cleaning grease from cables, electronics, metal parts and plastic components [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 September 18th 07 10:06 PM
Cleaning Plastic Bath Bookworm UK diy 14 July 2nd 06 08:51 PM
Electrolytic cleaning and plastic tubs. gtslabs Metalworking 10 July 28th 05 06:37 AM
Cleaning Plastic Display Windows Joe Electronics Repair 5 November 26th 03 04:04 PM