Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bennett[_2_] Bennett[_2_] is offline

Default supplying accurate output voltage input voltage

On 6/15/2012 5:29 AM, Laurav wrote:
Can one get a control where you can specify the output AC voltage very
accurately, even though the input voltage isn't accurate?
It would be for input to my air turbine. The air turbine always needs
input voltage much lower than the line voltage. So the control
wouldn't need step-up circuitry.
With the rheostat that comes with my air turbine, it's very sensitive
to changes in the line voltage.
So I was thinking about bypassing the rheostat instead of buying a
power conditioner and trying to supply very accurate voltage to the
rheostat.
Laura

I wonder whether a viable alternative is to control the air pressure
rather than the voltage. Set the turbine output somewhat high and let
an air pressure controller deliver the correct pressure to the mask.

Take a look at, e.g.,
http://www.regulatorstore.com/
http://www.controlair.com/index.php/regulatorproducts

I wouldn't worry too much about the motor's brushes wearing out too
quickly. Lots of home appliances (vacuum cleaner, blender, hair dryer,
coffee grinder) have brushes and last for years (albeit with
intermittent duty).