Luigi Zanasi

Default Storage of hardware - ideas needed please. (possible duplicate)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:51:49 GMT, "Greg Millen"
queried:

I would like to know the way you store - by type, size, nuts, bolts, nails
etc.

Most of my hardware is stored in an old IKEA bookcase we happened to
have around. Seven shelves ( I had to add a few) plus the top.

Wood screws are usually bought in boxes of 100 and are kept in them.
One shelf for flat head screws, another for pan head.

Nails, drywall screws and nuts & bolts (3/16" and up) are kept in
coffee cans, which require periodic blowing out. Nuts and different
types of bolts of the same size and thread (and the washers) are kept
together in the same coffee can. Lag bolts of different diameters each
have their own coffee can. They are at the top of the cabinet. Each
size/type of nail and drywall screw also has its own coffee can. One
shelf for drywall screws & nails & other misc. stuff, one for common
nails and one for finishing nails. One can also for dowelling stuff.

Small nuts and bolts go in a smaller version of the Crappy tire drawer
parts cabinet someone else posted. Again sorted by size and thread for
the more common ones (#6, #8, & #10). Stainless & brass bolts kept
separate, as are the metric threaded ones. I also have 5 covered
plastic bins for different types of hardwa e.g. one for hooks,
another for eyes, one for wall anchors, etc.

Containers? Bins? Jars (standard or sealed top)? Boxes? Pegboard packs? Is
there some software that is good for doing labels? What other considerations
should I be aware of?

Labelling by hand using some old tractor feed labels I happen to have.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html