Greg Millen

Default Storage of hardware - ideas needed please. (possible duplicate)

Well, my untidy ways have finally got the better of me. I searched the shop
for nearly an hour looking for a packet of 12mm coach head bolts I had just
bought. I sat the project down and began the hunt, looked high and low,
checked the bins, drawers, shelves, floor, benches - everywhere. Finally I
decided to just go to the borg and get some more, so I put the project in a
safe place and, you guessed it, there they were - under the project. While I
was looking, I realised that I have never attempted to get a proper system
set up, and now I was paying the price (yet again).

Reading the archives, I came up with some broken links and a few ideas (and
I am still googling away). But one thing the years spent here have taught
me - I will not be the only one to benefit from a discussion on this subject
(I've seen photos of a lot of your shops guys).

So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible,
c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you can
help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and labelled hardware
system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing any pics you may have. If
you have a link, great.

I would like to know the way you store - by type, size, nuts, bolts, nails
etc.

Containers? Bins? Jars (standard or sealed top)? Boxes? Pegboard packs? Is
there some software that is good for doing labels? What other considerations
should I be aware of?

I don't care what it looks like in the end, so long as it is functional and
safe - (I'd rather not have to pick hardware out of broken glass again, it's
the pits, DAMHIKT)

TIA

--
Greg

Mark Jerde

Greg Millen wrote:

So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible,
c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you
can help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and
labelled hardware system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing
any pics you may have. If you have a link, great.

I have a three drawer Craftman roll around chest that holds most of my
screws, nails etc. I also have two 12" x 18" x 3" plastic organizers with
see through lids and about 20 compartments in each. One has my washers, the
other small bolts & nuts. Works for now.

C.H. Becksvoort has a neat system.
http://www.chbecksvoort.com/shop.html

Tom Plamann built one in a wall.
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/inthesho...piii&UID=10006

-- Mark

Victor Radin

Recently saw someone using recycled library card catalogs for small
parts storage. I remember looking at someone on the Wreck's website,
unfortunatly I cannopt remember WHO it was.

There's also plastic bins, parts cabinets with never enough drawers, and
my personal favorite- coffee cans for large quantity junk, pill bottles
for small stuff.
Rick Gibson

I use metal cabinets with 40 to 60 drawers mounted on the wall. An example
seen here.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1081000184133

I have 6 of them mounted on the wall, works great for small parts. The only
problem is remembering to put the parts away when you bring them home.

Rick

webservant for

Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca
Wycliffe Bible Translators Caribbean http://www.wycliffecaribbean.org
Journaling / mental health http://www.pipcom.com/~jpeacock/
Bothwell Baptist Church http://www.forministry.com/CAONBCOOQBBC1

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Greg Millen wrote:

So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible,
c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you
can help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and
labelled hardware system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing
any pics you may have. If you have a link, great.

I have a three drawer Craftman roll around chest that holds most of my
screws, nails etc. I also have two 12" x 18" x 3" plastic organizers with
see through lids and about 20 compartments in each. One has my washers,

the
other small bolts & nuts. Works for now.

C.H. Becksvoort has a neat system.
http://www.chbecksvoort.com/shop.html

Tom Plamann built one in a wall.

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/inthesho...piii&UID=10006

-- Mark

Diane

At the blue borg there are plastic storage bins in red/blue/yellow. I made
a rolling cabinet on wheels 5' tall x 24" x 24". The upper shelves hold 5
accros of the yellow bins. The lower shelves hold the blue and the bootom
with clear lexan over it hold the red. The red one hold what used to go in
coffe canns. One side is for fasterners. One side for hardware. One side
is for bits/attachments/machine parts/drill bits and the forth side is for
project supplies like sand paper/glue/small clamps/etc. I also made a
portable wooden box that holds three yellow and one blue bin. This I use
when I want to take hardware to the garage, etc. The bins are cheap. I
thing they are 10/$ 5.00 for the yellow ones. I got card stock from office
max and printed with the laser printer onto the card stock and then cut it
to fit the slot on the bins. I thought about putting draws on the unit
out of lexan to keep dust out, but then It probable would not be convienant.
I will try to post a picture up on abpw if I can. I spnt less time building
the unit then I did hunting for one screw.

Eddie

Unisaw A100

When we moved and I was setting up Keeter Shoppe Y2K I was
working out of banker's boxes. It was the pits. Anyway,
with some inexpensive MDF and plastic boxes I set everything
straight and haven't hunted for hardware since.

I'll put up pitchers on abpw.

Next up, something similar for tools.

UA100
Eugene

Greg Millen wrote:

[...]

I have a bunch of the small plastic divided boxes (like the ones for
fishing). Just had to buy a bunch more and expand to one box for #4 bolts,
one for #6, one for #8 etc. I like them over the drawers because when the
lids are closed they don't get the dust inside like all the little drawers
do.

Mark & Juanita

In article m,
says...
.... snip

Reading the archives, I came up with some broken links and a few ideas (and
I am still googling away). But one thing the years spent here have taught
me - I will not be the only one to benefit from a discussion on this subject
(I've seen photos of a lot of your shops guys).

So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible,
c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you can
help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and labelled hardware
system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing any pics you may have. If
you have a link, great.

Take a look on my page, www.mklange.cnc.net, both in the "Shop
Pictures" and "Woodworking Pictures #2", look in the corner for the
storage bin system with yellow bins. It was not a cheap solution, but I
got the storage bin system from www.northerntool.com,
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roductDisplay?
storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=
38934&categoryId=867

It looks like they are having a sale on this unit, $200 is not a bad
price for the amount of storage provided. By adding the dividers in the
drawers, you can store and organize a large amount of nuts, bolts,
screws, and other small items. One thing I want to do in the future is
wrap a cabinet enclosure around the metal skeleton and add doors to 1)
eliminate the amount of dust collected by the open bins and 2) make it
look more like a part of a wood shop vs. a warehouse. But that's a few
projects down the road.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:51:49 GMT, "Greg Millen"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Well, my untidy ways have finally got the better of me.

It gets to us all eventually (and often.)

So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible,
c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you can
help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and labelled hardware
system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing any pics you may have. If
you have a link, great.

I would like to know the way you store - by type, size, nuts, bolts, nails
etc.

Some plastic boxes, some jugs of mixed hdw (Aieee!), some
organized plastic bin boxes. Search Ebay for "storage bins"
for the best of all worlds, plastic bin boxes. Add dust covers
to the front and Bob's yer uncle.

I have 2 of these, combined, with the extra bin storing some of the
new hardware I have. I also bought some garage sale jars of mixed
hardware which is a bad idea.

I want to move to these and add dust protection. While clear bins
are nice, open bins are easier if you can keep the dust out of them.
Tilting drawers are a nice combination.

http://www.quantumstorage.com/complete.htm
www.grainger.com Akro Mils tilt 'n lock storage bins

or check for same on your little island there.

Alternatively, make a scalloped front on a wooden bin storage
system to allow finger/hand space to pick out hardware. 45°
wedges create the front (as parts retainers) and allow you to
slide pieces out more easily. A cloth/plastic sheet/acrylic
front keeps dust out.

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
Greg Millen

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message ...
I have a three drawer Craftman roll around chest that holds most of my
screws, nails etc. I also have two 12" x 18" x 3" plastic organizers with
see through lids and about 20 compartments in each. One has my washers,

the
other small bolts & nuts. Works for now.

I also have some of those, and a number of others. Part of my problem is
clear labelling and consistency. From what people have suggested so far, I
seem to have a bit of each.

C.H. Becksvoort has a neat system.
http://www.chbecksvoort.com/shop.html

Mr Becksvoort is one lucky chap to have found that cabinet. I will say
though, that it would be nice to have, but not ideal. I would prefer to take
the boxes on the road with me, and not have to decant them. I'd also like
them to be transparent if possible.

I'll post some thoughts on this a bit later.

Tom Plamann built one in a wall.

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/inthesho...piii&UID=10006

Would that we were all like Tom sigh!

thanks for the links and thoughts Mark,

Greg

Greg Millen

"Rick Gibson" wrote in message ...
I use metal cabinets with 40 to 60 drawers mounted on the wall. An

example
seen here.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1081000184133

That looks promising. Do you get much dust in them? are they susceptible to
rusting? How do you label them?

cheers,

Greg

Greg Millen

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message ...
When we moved and I was setting up Keeter Shoppe Y2K I was
working out of banker's boxes. It was the pits. Anyway,
with some inexpensive MDF and plastic boxes I set everything
straight and haven't hunted for hardware since.

I like the simplicity and utility. In fact, my only beef, at a stretch, is I
can't see what's in the containers. Otherwise, it meets the majority of my
criteria (I'll post the criteria later - I don't want to exclude anything
just yet)

I'll put up pitchers on abpw.

Good simple shelves - biscuited?

Next up, something similar for tools.

I am going to summarise what I find in this search, included will be links
to tool storage ideas (just how the heck DO you store tailed tools?).

Greg

Greg Millen

--

Greg

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your a** tomorrow."

"Eugene" wrote in message ...
I have a bunch of the small plastic divided boxes (like the ones for
fishing). Just had to buy a bunch more and expand to one box for #4

bolts,
one for #6, one for #8 etc. I like them over the drawers because when the
lids are closed they don't get the dust inside like all the little drawers
do.

Thanks Eugene, I have some of those and over the years I developed "issues"
with them:

1. They turned opaque.
2. The plastic turned brittle, breaking hinges.
3. Inserting mid-range sizes was a PITA, requiring tipping things out and
reshuffling boxes.

They were great initially though, just not good over time as my needs grew.
They are excellent for keeping dust and moisture out.

cheers,

Greg

Greg Millen

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message ...
Take a look on my page, www.mklange.cnc.net, both in the "Shop
Pictures" and "Woodworking Pictures #2", look in the corner for the
storage bin system with yellow bins. It was not a cheap solution, but I
got the storage bin system from www.northerntool.com,

As you suggested Mark, the open bins are the flaw in this design. I seem to
get amazing amounts of dust in the shop along with moisture, so rust is a
concern. I have to say though, the drawers in that bench are f a n t a s t
i c. I think you've inspired me to do something similar.

Thanks for the ideas.

Greg

Greg Millen

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ...
Some plastic boxes, some jugs of mixed hdw (Aieee!), some
organized plastic bin boxes. Search Ebay for "storage bins"
for the best of all worlds, plastic bin boxes. Add dust covers
to the front and Bob's yer uncle.

I have 2 of these, combined, with the extra bin storing some of the
new hardware I have. I also bought some garage sale jars of mixed
hardware which is a bad idea.

I had a few of these too, I found the trays brittle and "sticky" when I
tried to remove them. Dust got in also so I think I'll move on from them,
tenjewberrymoochalldesame.

I want to move to these and add dust protection. While clear bins
are nice, open bins are easier if you can keep the dust out of them.
Tilting drawers are a nice combination.

http://www.quantumstorage.com/complete.htm
www.grainger.com Akro Mils tilt 'n lock storage bins

Hmm, spendy, $20 for two big drawers? There ain't a crowbar strong enough. I
have a few 'ZAG' style tilt'n'locks that are nice, so long as you don't add
a size, then everything needs to be reshuffled. I also find that dust
ingress is still a problem and I am forever blowing them out with compressed
air (well, ok, it's fun too!).

Alternatively, make a scalloped front on a wooden bin storage
system to allow finger/hand space to pick out hardware. 45°
wedges create the front (as parts retainers) and allow you to
slide pieces out more easily. A cloth/plastic sheet/acrylic
front keeps dust out.

Thanks for the ideas Larry,

Greg

Greg Millen

"p_j" wrote in message ...
I use the 4 compartment stacking inserts for 5 gallon buckets.
Inexpensive and works great. I'm able to take my hardware supplies
upstairs or outdoors, the buckets themselves stack and everything stays
clean and dry.

I've seen those, and use one for my garden sprinkler bits and pieces.
Ideally though, in the shop I prefer to be able to 'browse' without having
to unstack things.

thanks,

--
Greg

Doug Winterburn

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:42:56 +0000, Greg Millen wrote:

As you suggested Mark, the open bins are the flaw in this design. I seem to
get amazing amounts of dust in the shop along with moisture, so rust is a
concern. I have to say though, the drawers in that bench are f a n t a s t
i c. I think you've inspired me to do something similar.

Being space challenged, I have a roll around clamp/hardware/assembley
cart. Some of the hardware storage is open bins. If they get too furred
over, I hit them with the compressor air gun - from a judicious distance
and everything becomes visible again with 99.4% still in the bins :-)

-Doug

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Mark Jerde

Greg Millen wrote:

Part of my problem is
clear labelling and consistency.

I've learned *not* to dump boxes of screws etc. into labelless bins, but
leave them in the original, labeled boxes. ;-) This won't work when I
graduate to 5 lb & larger boxes...

-- Mark

Greg Millen

Here's a summary of what has been proposed plus some other items I stumbled
across. I have included a list of likes/dislikes for my storage needs.

Likes:
- metal pull handles (easy to use with "gluey" fingers)
- transparent containers
- removable containers that remain sealed
- clear labels
- easy to insert a mid-size in system
- non breakable
- easy access
- easily transportable
- large enough to get three fingers in to grab item.

Dislikes:
- allows dust entry
- "tricky" lids or latches
- heavy

Storage ideas.

Library card drawers:
http://www.chbecksvoort.com/shop.html

Tom Plamann built one in a wall (caution - allow 20min to browse).
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/inthesho...piii&UID=10006

Canadian Tire metal storage cabinet
http://www.canadiantire.ca search on "Mastercraft 43-Drawer Metal Cabinet "

Mark's shop storage - note particularly the bench drawers and yellow bin
storage:
http://www.mklange.cnc.net

Sliding wall of tools:
http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ategoryId=7002
&contentId=405

Sliding storage shelf:
http://www.woodzone.com/tips/shelf-jig.htm

Power tool storage shelf -
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/sntip38.html (please, don't ask for
plans)

Dowel Storage Rack:
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/sntip45.html

Unisaw A100

Greg Millen wrote:
I like the simplicity and utility. In fact, my only beef, at a stretch, is I
can't see what's in the containers.

Yahbut, it's tricky trying to tell the difference between
7/8" screws and 1" screws so eventually everything has to be
labeled. I also figure that given time a clear plastic
container will scratch and cloud to the point of being
opaque anyway so why not start that way?

Good simple shelves - biscuited?

Pin nailed. Bisquicking would have been nice but I was
looking at making shop furniture and I wanted to be done now
instead of later.

I am going to summarise what I find in this search, included will be links
to tool storage ideas (just how the heck DO you store tailed tools?).

The shop was/has been/will be always made from found
materials/recycles or something inexpensive. The storage
units are all material left over from jobs that was dumpster
destined. My tailed tools are all in base cabinets recycled
from my home office from "the old house". The future home
for them will be something more custom but using inexpensive
material like MDF for the carcasses and maple for the tool
trays. The maple being left over from a past project and
saved from the dumpster destination.

UA100

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 00:02:32 GMT, "Greg Millen"
brought forth from the murky depths:

I had a few of these too, I found the trays brittle and "sticky" when I
tried to remove them. Dust got in also so I think I'll move on from them,
tenjewberrymoochalldesame.

Didja ever wax 'em? Works like a charm. I used paraffin early
on and now use Johnson's whenever they feel sticky.

Hmm, spendy, $20 for two big drawers? There ain't a crowbar strong enough. I
have a few 'ZAG' style tilt'n'locks that are nice, so long as you don't add
a size, then everything needs to be reshuffled. I also find that dust
ingress is still a problem and I am forever blowing them out with compressed
air (well, ok, it's fun too!).

They really need to be inside a cabinet. I'm thinking that a large
pass-through shelf right under the middle of my assembly table might
be the ideal place for hardware. It would somewhat sheltered from
dust under that top, and it would be there at the assy table when
I needed some. Accuride makes the 2002 pass-through glides with a
center detent for up to 24" either way so I could get hardware from
either side. A short skirt of cloth could help keep dust out when it
was closed, too.

Alternatively, make a scalloped front on a wooden bin storage
system to allow finger/hand space to pick out hardware. 45°
wedges create the front (as parts retainers) and allow you to
slide pieces out more easily. A cloth/plastic sheet/acrylic
front keeps dust out.

Thanks for the ideas Larry,

¿Si, como no? (Jewelcome in Spanish.)

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
towards one that accrues to its own advantage; nor does it ever move
towards social purposes on its own initiative, but only under heavy
pressure, while its motion towards anti-social purposes is self-sprung.
- Albert Jay Nock
- http://diversify.com Web Programming for curmudgeons and others. -
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:18:58 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Greg Millen wrote:

Part of my problem is
clear labelling and consistency.

I've learned *not* to dump boxes of screws etc. into labelless bins, but
leave them in the original, labeled boxes. ;-) This won't work when I
graduate to 5 lb & larger boxes...

True. And if you buy hardware at the Borg, get the 100 pc
box. It costs the same as about 25 single pieces and you
end up with quite a few pre-labeled spares.

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
towards one that accrues to its own advantage; nor does it ever move
towards social purposes on its own initiative, but only under heavy
pressure, while its motion towards anti-social purposes is self-sprung.
- Albert Jay Nock
- http://diversify.com Web Programming for curmudgeons and others. -
Greg Millen

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message ...
Yahbut, it's tricky trying to tell the difference between
7/8" screws and 1" screws so eventually everything has to be
labeled. I also figure that given time a clear plastic
container will scratch and cloud to the point of being
opaque anyway so why not start that way?

Ya, ya, I hear you. But do you know a material that starts out opaque but
turns clear when it gets scratched and ages? I did say the beef was a bit of
a stretch; I'll be trying to find some containers next week I think, time
depending.

cheers,

Greg

Jim K

I just finished making a roll-around rack for my various bins and
trays. I need to add a couple of shelves yet to the bottom for some
other parts boxes I have.
http://www.avercy.com/knothole/projects-misc01.htm

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:05:11 GMT, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:42:56 +0000, Greg Millen wrote:

As you suggested Mark, the open bins are the flaw in this design. I seem to
get amazing amounts of dust in the shop along with moisture, so rust is a
concern. I have to say though, the drawers in that bench are f a n t a s t
i c. I think you've inspired me to do something similar.

Being space challenged, I have a roll around clamp/hardware/assembley
cart. Some of the hardware storage is open bins. If they get too furred
over, I hit them with the compressor air gun - from a judicious distance
and everything becomes visible again with 99.4% still in the bins :-)

-Doug

Tom Watson

I use a carryall style of unit that holds about twenty, one pound
coffee cans. this is an old carpenter's solution to carrying and
storing nails.

If I get sufficiently motivated, I'll post a pix on ABPW.

(time passes)

OK, I know that I cannot describe in words the beauty of these things
- thus, I have put up a pix on ABPW.

Enjoy.

wrote:

[...]

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Brian Henderson

wrote:

Containers? Bins? Jars (standard or sealed top)? Boxes? Pegboard packs? Is
there some software that is good for doing labels? What other considerations
should I be aware of?

Honestly, it depends on your space and what you're trying to store.
I've got a combination of plastic bins and drawers for all of my
screw/bolt/nail/etc hardware and it works just fine. Each bin or
drawer is clearly labeled with what's in it. You should go get
yourself an inexpensive labeler (you can get a hand-help Dymo for
under $20) and make it easy on yourself.
Brian Henderson

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:36:26 GMT, Victor Radin
wrote:

Recently saw someone using recycled library card catalogs for small
parts storage. I remember looking at someone on the Wreck's website,
unfortunatly I cannopt remember WHO it was.

That's a good idea. I know that the local freebie buy-and-sell
magazine always has someone selling used card catalogs at a good
price, maybe that's something to look into if you have a large wall
space you're not using.
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:51:49 GMT, "Greg Millen"
queried:

I would like to know the way you store - by type, size, nuts, bolts, nails
etc.

Most of my hardware is stored in an old IKEA bookcase we happened to
have around. Seven shelves ( I had to add a few) plus the top.

Wood screws are usually bought in boxes of 100 and are kept in them.
One shelf for flat head screws, another for pan head.

Nails, drywall screws and nuts & bolts (3/16" and up) are kept in
coffee cans, which require periodic blowing out. Nuts and different
types of bolts of the same size and thread (and the washers) are kept
together in the same coffee can. Lag bolts of different diameters each
have their own coffee can. They are at the top of the cabinet. Each
size/type of nail and drywall screw also has its own coffee can. One
shelf for drywall screws & nails & other misc. stuff, one for common
nails and one for finishing nails. One can also for dowelling stuff.

Small nuts and bolts go in a smaller version of the Crappy tire drawer
parts cabinet someone else posted. Again sorted by size and thread for
the more common ones (#6, #8, & #10). Stainless & brass bolts kept
separate, as are the metric threaded ones. I also have 5 covered
plastic bins for different types of hardwa e.g. one for hooks,
another for eyes, one for wall anchors, etc.

Containers? Bins? Jars (standard or sealed top)? Boxes? Pegboard packs? Is
there some software that is good for doing labels? What other considerations
should I be aware of?

Labelling by hand using some old tractor feed labels I happen to have.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Ed G

snip!
Is there some software that is good for doing labels? What other
considerations
should I be aware of?

Labelling by hand using some old tractor feed labels I happen to have.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

"Avery" mail labels often come with software on a CD or you can download
it from their site. Makes the text fit perfectly and does a nice job. Just
me $.02 worth

Ed

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:34:10 GMT, "Ed G" scribbled:

Labelling by hand using some old tractor feed labels I happen to have.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

"Avery" mail labels often come with software on a CD or you can download
it from their site. Makes the text fit perfectly and does a nice job. Just
me $.02 worth

I use those when I have a bunch of similar labels to do, like for
canning. I also use them for address labels. Actually, I think I might
have used them when first setting up the system. But now, when I add a
coffee can, it's easier to just write out the label by hand.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

John Carlson

A few months ago I discovered Ziplock food-storage boxes. They come
in various sizes, but the ones I use are sized to hold a sandwich.
This works out to be just about the right size to hold a pound of
nails or screws.

These things are readily available at the grocery store, cheap (about
$2 for a pack of five IIRC) light weight, stackable, with covers that
seal tight. You can mark them with a magic marker. I have a bunch of
them and I just stack them on the shelves in a cabinet in the shop. I
have a bunch of extras lying around so I can just grab another any
time I need a new "category" of things to store.

wrote:

[...]

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Han

John Carlson wrote in
:

A few months ago I discovered Ziplock food-storage boxes. They come
in various sizes, but the ones I use are sized to hold a sandwich.
This works out to be just about the right size to hold a pound of
nails or screws.

These things are readily available at the grocery store, cheap (about
$2 for a pack of five IIRC) light weight, stackable, with covers that
seal tight. You can mark them with a magic marker. I have a bunch of
them and I just stack them on the shelves in a cabinet in the shop. I
have a bunch of extras lying around so I can just grab another any
time I need a new "category" of things to store.

If you were to use the tougher zippered bags, you may be able to saw slits
into thin wood (maybe diagonally from the front edge) so the bags can hang,
all visible-like. I'll have to try that for myself

--
Best regards
Han
B a r r y

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:13:15 GMT, John Carlson
wrote:

A few months ago I discovered Ziplock food-storage boxes. They come
in various sizes, but the ones I use are sized to hold a sandwich.
This works out to be just about the right size to hold a pound of
nails or screws.

A while back, there was a either a tip or short article on how to make
a shelving unit to hold those containers. The shelf had slots that
mated with the top lips of the containers, using teh containers as
drawers.

Barry
Jim K

If you go to your local craft shop (Jo Anns locally) you can find
ziplock bags down to about 1" x 1". They, and some a bit larger, are
nice for set screws, and other tiny parts.

wrote:

A few months ago I discovered Ziplock food-storage boxes. They come
in various sizes, but the ones I use are sized to hold a sandwich.
This works out to be just about the right size to hold a pound of
nails or screws.

John Carlson

Interesting. I'll have to take a look. For vary small stuff I use
35mm film cans, but the problem is that it's not hard (at least for
mr) to lose the whole can. I can see where a handful of very small
ziplock bags packed into one of those ziplock boxes might work better.