Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The House the 50s Built

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

Are you or were you ever in charge of doing both? I am, since I'm single,
and having to use a launderette would be a dreadful time waster and chore.
Doing the washing up on the other hand takes up little time.

As a student and for a short time after I started working, I used
a launderette. Would start up the machine, walk next door and buy
Private Eye, and I'd just about finished reading it when the
washing was done.

Then I got a second-hand Hoover washing machine which my parents
were chucking out, repaired the drum leaks (Isopon), and used it
for a couple of years until the leak through the bearing became
too much. By then, I was in my first home, and bought a new top
spec Hotpoint through GEC staff sales, and it lasted 25 years.

Dishwasher didn't come until much later - actually the thing
that drove me to getting a dishwasher was getting Usenet access
at home (through my employer - not sure there were any ISPs
at that point). I no longer had time to wash the dishes myself.
That was another purchase through GEC staff sales (Creda),
although a rather lower spec small model. It's 22 years old and
still working, although now with someone else in the family.

--
Andrew Gabriel