Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default The House the 50s Built

On Saturday, June 9, 2012 4:19:42 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
sm_jamieson wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Yes I still don't have a dishwasher.

Just fitting a new kitchen. Not fitting a dish washer

Mad.

- wife does not want one,

Time for a new one of those.

If she's happy to do the washing up, why would I mind ?

You didn't make it clear that she is happy to do all the washing up.

and from my experience you need none or two,

Nope.

since one is invariably full of clean plates, and then you
have to quickly remove all these to do the next load.

I just replace the clean ones with dirty ones as they
are used and run it when there are no clean ones left.

Do you like your "clean" plates to smell slightly of garlic etc ?

Doesn't happen, and I do use garlic.

Do you not get splashes on the remaining clean ones in there ?

Nope. I don't bother to rinse the stuff that goes into
the dishwasher dirty. I use a detergent that gets them
complete clean without needing to rinse them.

The most I do is scrape off stuff like chop bones into
the bin and any other uneaten food on the plate.

I suppose you can leave a bit of space between the clean and dirty sets.

I don't bother but can do that if I did get that effect.

Do you not have to run a pre-rinse to stop the food remains
getting stuck on if it's a while until all the clean ones are gone ?

Nope, and I do wait quite a while too. I run the dishwasher
every 9 days, basically that's when the 9 beer glasses are dirty.

Occasionally I do run the dishwasher more frequently, particularly
when I have just done another batch of marmalade or relish and
so there is a lot more to go in the dishwasher than usual.

I only have one meal a day that produces dirty dishes.

I only have a ****ing great thick slab of toast for breakfast
with a glass of water, don't bother with coffee anymore.

Don't bother with lunch, just have an apple and a banana
most of the year, 3 or so nectarines in the nectarine season.

In which case the "clean" ones get pre-rinsed
several times and may get dirtier as a result ?

Nope, don't rise the dirty dishes in the sink
or use the dishwasher pre rinse cycle at all.

I don't even bother to rinse the cast iron plate type things
that I put under the grill to grill steaks and chops on, they
just go straight in the dishwasher filthy with fat.

I can imagine answers to all these, but the
method must still be examined in great detail.

Examine away.

With such a small amount of dirty plates etc, you definitely don't need a dishwasher !
Actually, I may be losing the argument. My sister who did not want a dishwasher either has now sold out, and says her new device has "changed here life". Oh dear ;-)
Simon.