Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default The House the 50s Built

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
harry wrote:
On Jun 8, 9:55 am, Tim Watts wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
jgharston wrote:
And I've always wondered how valid this "men never went
in the kitchen" thing was. Most of my ancestors on my
mother's side were fishermen, and if you couldn't cook
you starved.

My father - born around 1900 - washed and dried the lunchtime
dishes every single day. He also gave his unopened pay packet
to mother every Friday.

My mother never went out to work, but looked after the home and
kids. But had full control over the family income and outgoings
- father simply got some pocket money.

I think they balanced out running the home pretty well between
them - mother certainly never complained. Of course these days
when so often both parents go to work (or both not) it's a
different matter.

In the 60s Dad's salary, which was roughly the national average
income, paid the mortgage on a nice semi in a pleasant area with
a reasonably comfortable lifestyle for us (2 cars, washing
machine and a TV.). Just the mortgage payments on that house now
would be a bit more than the national average income, assuming
the same percentage deposit.

Ditto - engineering civil service salary (not exactly massive) paid
for a 3 bed semi with a 100' garden in a nice small town plus car.

If you compare house price inflation from the 60's to present, it
far outstrips the inflation on everything else.

--
Tim Watts- Hide quoted text -

Immigration. They gotta be living somewhere.

Usually in the country they moved to.

And you can blame both Tim and myself for introducing two legal immigrants
to the UK (that's one each not two each).

Three here

--
geoff