Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The House the 50s Built

Tim Streater was thinking very hard :
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

on 08/06/2012, S Viemeister supposed :
On 6/8/2012 10:47 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :
Yes I still don't have a dishwasher.

We have, in the util room, but she never uses it. Sore point, she
suggests she does use it sometimes, but I have never heard her running
it. Brilliant for cleaning engine parts though lol

In the _utility_ room? Whose idea was that???

Er, mine - it was the only spare bit of space and was already plumbed and
wired, she agreed to it being there lol

OK - so where's the washing machine? If that's in the kitchen just swap 'em
over.

Washer/ drier is alongside the dishwasher in the util. The kitchen is a
cooking, dining, general living area so we don't like noisy appliances
in there. Util is just next to kitchen and has its own sink, the
washer, dishwasher, freezer and a bit of extra cupboard space and also
forms a drying area with dehumidifier and fan. Just beyond it (through
the back of it) is large pantry area I created. She lost her pantry in
a redesign 30 years ago and I got that much ear ache due to its loss, I
then converted a disused coal storage room into a pantry accessed
through the back of the util. She tends to stock up as if the third WW
is due to start next week lol

Prior to my converting the coal storage into a new pantry, it was used
as a storage area for garden implements, until a large hut was bought.
I just bricked up its access door and made a new door leading directly
from the util.

The fan combined with dehumidifier work brilliantly by the way, for
drying clothes and much more economical than using the drier.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)