Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Buying lectrickery in the U.S. - bit OT ...

On Jun 7, 3:36*pm, spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Jun 7, 1:10*pm, mike wrote:

We also have a time-of-use option. *You get to pay an additional fee
for the option to pay MORE for peak use and less for off-peak.
I don't have the glossy brochure handy, but last time I did the math,
my break-even point was switching 80% of my use to 4AM.

The time of use option solution is obvious. *Switch EVERYBODY to time of
use.
Keep the peak rate the same and lower the off-peak rate.
You can raise ALL the rates later, when nobody's looking.
EVERYBODY has the incentive to smooth out the load peaks and valleys.
EVERYBODY wins...well, there'd be less in the bonus bucket.
And all those people marching down main street in opposition to that
wind farm
or transmission line could bring along their electric bill to
demonstrate that they're washing their clothes at 4AM
and cutting their total use below norm to eliminate
the need for that new energy source.

Reminds me of some 40 years ago, after the first Arab oil shock (the
Sheik Shock? When OPEC first flexed its muscles.)

All consumers/producers of energy were trying to be more efficient.
Electric companies were looking at a thing called "pumped storage."

During the wee hours, water would be pumped uphill. During the hot
afternoons, water would be let go downhill, spinning hydroelectric
turbines as it went.

Sounded like a treadmill to oblivion, but it effectively shifted
excess capacity from the middle of the night to when it was needed.- Hide quoted text -

That's still in use in some parts of Colorado.