Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Buying lectrickery in the U.S. - bit OT ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

How is electricity sold to the consumer in the U.S. ? Presumably it is
by the 'unit' of 1 kWh the same as here in the UK, but is the price
constant across the day, or is there an equivalent of the night-time
economy period that we have in the UK, where the per unit cost is
significantly lower for seven hours ? And is the pricing structure
'simple' like it used to be here, or a minefield of different tariffs
that you can choose from, that make it so complicated that you have to
go onto a price comparison site to try to get the best deal, and even
then can't be sure that you've got it right ? And who do you buy it
from ? Do you have a national supplier, or a state supplier, or a
local supplier or all of those ? Is it a massive mire of 'competition'
between suppliers like it is here now ? I say 'competition' in
inverted commas, because in reality, it's actually nothing of the sort
for the most part. Do you also have 'combined' tariff suppliers who
will supply your gas as well as electricity, to further muddy the
waters ? What is your typical price now for a unit of daytime
electricity ?

Just interested, as it's so ridiculously expensive and top heavy here
now, and I was wondering whether this has become the norm around the
world. Any of you Aussie boys (or girls) want to chip in with how it's
done down there ? Anyone else anywhere ?

Arfa

in central Florida,Progress Energy,I have a standard KWH rate,and then a
higher rate for consumption over 1000 KWH. I never get anywhere near that.
I have no choice as to what utility provides my electricity,it's a
monopoly.

there's also a fuel charge,for the first 1000 KWH,and an increased rate for
every 1000 KWH over that.

energy charge= 6.275c/KWH 1st 1000 KWH.
7.366c/KWH over 1000 KWH

fuel charge= 4.86c/KWH
5.86c/KWH over 1000 KWH.
then there's the taxes and special fees for this and that.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik