Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default refrigerator problems

In article ,
klem kedidelhopper wrote:
My son has a Ropor refrigerator. I think this was a Whirlpool
contractor model for about 300.00 I haven't got the model number but
it is 7 years old. The freezer is on top. Recently he noticed that the
freezer seemed cold enough but the refrigerator section was too warm.
The controls were both apparently set to max. He cleaned it out and
disconnected power with the intention of getting rid of it. I told him
that we should at least try to investigate this a little further
before condemning the box. I'm not sure if they've ever cleaned the
coils under it or not. We just vacuumed the dust off the coils of his
other refrigerator last night and although it didn't seem to have any
performance issues it looked like a blanket of dust, ( I'm not talking
about the fiberglass mat that belongs there) under neath it. I told
him to try vacuuming the coils first and see what happens. Does
anyone have any other diagnostic tips past that point they might be
able to offer? Thanks, Lenny

On the frost free Whirlpool I've been keeping going for years, the
thermostat sets the refrigerator section temperature.

The freezer temp control works the opposite of what I first expected.
The freezer section temperature is set by a baffle. (There's one
internal fan at the cooling coils in the freezer section and a duct to
the refrigerator section). If the baffle control is set to wide open,
the refrigerator section gets cooled down as quick as possible, so the
compressor runs the minimum amount of time (and the freezer ends up at
a warmer temperature).

To lower the freezer temperature, the control blocks off the air flow so
the compressor needs to run longer to cool down the refrigerator section,
and the freezer gets colder as a side effect.

If it's not a frost free,
1. check the door seal
2. ice makes a good insulator

Other suggestions out of the Whirlpool "Do It Yourself" repair book
are checking the air ducts, and making sure the light goes out, making
sure the refigerator isn't in too warm a location, and after all that,
it might be the thermostat.

Mark Zenier