Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default refrigerator problems

My son has a Ropor refrigerator. I think this was a Whirlpool
contractor model for about 300.00 I haven't got the model number but
it is 7 years old. The freezer is on top. Recently he noticed that the
freezer seemed cold enough but the refrigerator section was too warm.
The controls were both apparently set to max. He cleaned it out and
disconnected power with the intention of getting rid of it. I told him
that we should at least try to investigate this a little further
before condemning the box. I'm not sure if they've ever cleaned the
coils under it or not. We just vacuumed the dust off the coils of his
other refrigerator last night and although it didn't seem to have any
performance issues it looked like a blanket of dust, ( I'm not talking
about the fiberglass mat that belongs there) under neath it. I told
him to try vacuuming the coils first and see what happens. Does
anyone have any other diagnostic tips past that point they might be
able to offer? Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 08:44:49 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

[...]

In addition to cleaning the condenser (always a good idea), if this is
a two door refrigerator let it sit unplugged and with the door open
for a day. A common fault of some designs is the evaporator in the
refrigerator section will freeze up. There are other issues with the
'end of defrost' sensor failing, and an open defrost heater. Some
designs use a single evaporator and a fan to move air between freezer
and refrigerator sections. As a general rule of thumb, if the
freezersection gets cold enough to freeze ice cubes, and there are no
mechanical problems (bad hinges, etc), it is repairable.

www.elektrotanya.com has a large inventory of free service manuals for
appliances as well as electronics; the model number would be necessary
to locate that.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 2, 10:44*am, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
[...]

If the freezer gets down to 0F, then the compressor and cooling system
is ok, it's a problem of distributing the cold. The first thing that
comes to mind is the fan(s). It's also possible that ice built up
somewhere in the air flow passage. After letting it sit out for a day
or two with the door open so everything has a chance to completely
defrost, plug it back in and see how it works.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

the fridge also needs to have the DUCTS between freezer and lower
compartment clear,that's how the "cold" gets into the lower section.
It's possible dust or something else clogged them up.they use circulating
fans to move cold air between freezer and lower compartment.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
klem kedidelhopper wrote:
[...]

On the frost free Whirlpool I've been keeping going for years, the
thermostat sets the refrigerator section temperature.

The freezer temp control works the opposite of what I first expected.
The freezer section temperature is set by a baffle. (There's one
internal fan at the cooling coils in the freezer section and a duct to
the refrigerator section). If the baffle control is set to wide open,
the refrigerator section gets cooled down as quick as possible, so the
compressor runs the minimum amount of time (and the freezer ends up at
a warmer temperature).

To lower the freezer temperature, the control blocks off the air flow so
the compressor needs to run longer to cool down the refrigerator section,
and the freezer gets colder as a side effect.

If it's not a frost free,
1. check the door seal
2. ice makes a good insulator

Other suggestions out of the Whirlpool "Do It Yourself" repair book
are checking the air ducts, and making sure the light goes out, making
sure the refigerator isn't in too warm a location, and after all that,
it might be the thermostat.

Mark Zenier

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 2, 8:44*am, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
[...]

We had the same symptoms twice, with a GE side-by-side.

The first time, the defroster element had failed, and the repairman
put in a heavy-duty element, for free, under a secret warranty.
(Enough had failed where GE realized they needed to redesign the part,
but they were not about to pro-actively contact any owners.)

The second time, the refrigerator door had sagged to the point where
the light stayed on all the time, because the door no longer actuated
the switch when it closed. I noticed the butter melting in its top
door compartment, and feared the defroster element had failed again.
The repairman simply took out a socket wrench and ratcheted the fridge
door upwards.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/02/12 15:44, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
[...]

I have a tip. Maybe the fat ******* shouldn't be opening and closing it
so often.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article 96719723-72f2-4be2-98a2-
,
says...

[...]

Not mentioned here but I have had the fan that circulates the cold air
around in the refrigerator fail several times. One time the motor
bearing seized up so the fan would no longer run. Another time the motor
shaft to impeller coupling failed the blades simply sat still while the
motor ran free. Both fixes were straightforward.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 5, 1:45*am, Michael Karas wrote:
[...]

A lot of good ideas. I'm going to look a bit further. Thanks everyone.
Lenny
BTW he may be fat but you're stupid. He can go on a diet. What the
**** can you do?