Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Apprentice bollockings for this week

Unbeliever wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:

[Snip]

Lights are not on the list. It's not needed in this case.

lights on a vehicle have to be in working order - even during
daylight hours.

The lights are not on the check list as we do not need the
apprentices to check them on a weekly basis because of the way the
vans are parked up at night.

Don't really want to **** you off Adam, but obligatory lights, tyres,
oil, horn, water and washer fluid should be checked on a daily basis
by the *driver* whether on a weekly 'list' or not - as your firm and
drivers will find out if the VOSA pulls the vehicles in for a
roadside inspection, and if these are involved in a serious accident
and VOSA gets involved, they go even deeper, and dig rather deeply
into the history of the vehicles past safety inspections (should be
done monthly) along with their service and maintenance records.

So just out of curiosity, are the vehicles being checked daily by the
driver, with the weekly 'list' simply being used as a part of a
'training plan' for the apprentices?

I check my tyres occasionally. I never check the oil (the van does that for
me). I fill the washer bottle up weekly. I test the horn when a ****** gets
in the way. I never check the water level.
I test the rear lights by looking in my mirrors when reversing.

However this is my van with no other drivers.

When I did have a small radiator leak it was obvious that it had a leak as
the temperature gauge showed the engine was warming up faster than normal
(and that was with only a litre having gone).

I know my van and I watch for these things. I also do not kerb the van so I
have no need to worry about the tracking. Generally I can guess by the
mileage when the tyres wll need changing.

--
Adam