Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT, Extremely Cool Way To Clear Trees Around Power Lines

On May 31, 6:37*am, Bob_Villa wrote:
On May 30, 9:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 30, 7:14*am, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

How would you suggest they cut the limbs that are that far up...and
cut fours miles of limbs per day?

I didn't know it was my job to figure that out...I must have been
promoted without a check! *How did they do it before?

Hey, I only asked because you had an opinion related to the "dangers
out-weighing the convenience".

I thought maybe you had some idea on a better way...well maybe not
better, but perhaps just safer.

My thoughts on having workers hike up into the trees and climb each
one to do the trimming is that it probably takes way too long and is
probably just as expensive.

From a safety perspective - and based on the videos of workers
climbing onto (and off of) the wire via helicopter - I think that the
pilots pretty much know what they are doing and the danger of cutting
a wire is pretty slim. It's had to tell from the video just how close
they are to the lines but I'm assuming that they are far enough away
that cutting them is not an issue.

However, when I watched the videos of the workers climbing out of the
helicopters and onto the wires, all I could think of was how little
wind it would take to push the aircraft into the wires or push it away
as a worker was transferring. I know that they are hooked on, but if a
sudden movment occurred just as they were reaching out to hook on,
things could go bad very quickly.

Those guys are way out my league! Last weekend I walked back and forth
across a railroad trestle in a state park. The bridge is 820 feet long
and 240 feet above the bottom of the gorge. While I glanced briefly
down into the gorge to see the waterfall, my eyes were mostly glued to
the metal walkway in front of me as I walked. The walk was sort of a
"present" to my son who had graduated from college that morning. He
wanted to cross, so I went with him, even though I am very afraid of
heights.