Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Phone not charging

On 30/05/2012 20:19, Mike Barnes wrote:
:

and had reviews suggesting it does work with full function. Would
connecting two of them together really effect the charging that badly?
Everything else works.

I don't know, but I have a black eBay lead and a white Apple lead, same
length, one charges, one doesn't, though it looks as if it's charging.
It might be charging infinitely slowly.

The Apple devices have a way to tell if they are connected to a charger
that is able to fast charge the device (Certain resistors across the
data lines of the USB pins on the charger end) if these are not detected
by the device, it reverts to a slow charge (250mA), which takes
absolutely ages (Standard charge from an iPhone wall charger is 1000mA),
my car has an apple lead, and it only does the slow charge, on an iPhone
4 it seems to only charge 10% over a 50 minute car journey for me.

So the extra length may well be adding too much resistance to the
circuit, that is then making the phone revert to slow charge mode.

Here is a diagram of the resistor arrangement for an iPhone charger
http://www.ladyada.net/images/mintyboost/usb4res.png

Taken from about 3/4 down this page
www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

--