Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Possible in any way to read a corrupted Minidisc?

Mike wrote in message
In article , N_Cook wrote:
Hour of audio recording fine, at switch off instead of going to Writing

TOC
a message come up Er Md something. Try to play it and it comes up as

Blank
Disc. Other discs play and record on this recorder. This corrupted disc
won't play on another player either

If there's no TOC entry, no normal player will see it, as you've

discovered.

Vague memories of some Minidisc play/recorders being able to be "forcibly"
made to read another disc's TOC and accept it as the TOC for a faulty

disc,
even to the point of writing it back to "correct" the disc.

Similar to the trick for using a standard data CD-R in a machine that only
wants to play "duty-paid Audio" CD-Rs. Show it one disc, let it get happy,
then rip the disc away from it and replace it while defeating the "door

open"
switch if needed.

Other alternative is to find someone with a DATA Minidisc drive in a PC
and dump the raw data off. Software codecs for the ATRAC compression

exist.

How desperate are you to get the audio back?

---

I have a mains powered Sony MDS JE510 mentioned on this fix page
http://www.minidisc.org/cloning_procedure.html
First record Cage's 71 minutes of silence or whatever
The first problem , probably solved, find a local source of minidiscs , as
considered old tec now.
As that is their last pack of 10 I must find a junk shop or somewhere that
buys and sells reusable discs, for the future.

The local supplier I found, has 2 types , seems "digital" for data only
minidisc systems and "normal" ones - I'll have to find out about if
cross-compatible