Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Possible in any way to read a corrupted Minidisc?

Hour of audio recording fine, at switch off instead of going to Writing TOC
a message come up Er Md something. Try to play it and it comes up as Blank
Disc. Other discs play and record on this recorder. This corrupted disc
won't play on another player either

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A bit of a rigmarole but does sound possible
http://www.minidisc.org/cloning_procedure.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , N_Cook wrote:
Hour of audio recording fine, at switch off instead of going to Writing TOC
a message come up Er Md something. Try to play it and it comes up as Blank
Disc. Other discs play and record on this recorder. This corrupted disc
won't play on another player either

If there's no TOC entry, no normal player will see it, as you've discovered.

Vague memories of some Minidisc play/recorders being able to be "forcibly"
made to read another disc's TOC and accept it as the TOC for a faulty disc,
even to the point of writing it back to "correct" the disc.

Similar to the trick for using a standard data CD-R in a machine that only
wants to play "duty-paid Audio" CD-Rs. Show it one disc, let it get happy,
then rip the disc away from it and replace it while defeating the "door open"
switch if needed.

Other alternative is to find someone with a DATA Minidisc drive in a PC
and dump the raw data off. Software codecs for the ATRAC compression exist.

How desperate are you to get the audio back?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike wrote in message
In article , N_Cook wrote:
[...]

---

I have a mains powered Sony MDS JE510 mentioned on this fix page
http://www.minidisc.org/cloning_procedure.html
First record Cage's 71 minutes of silence or whatever
The first problem , probably solved, find a local source of minidiscs , as
considered old tec now.
As that is their last pack of 10 I must find a junk shop or somewhere that
buys and sells reusable discs, for the future.

The local supplier I found, has 2 types , seems "digital" for data only
minidisc systems and "normal" ones - I'll have to find out about if
cross-compatible

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , N_Cook wrote:
The first problem , probably solved, find a local source of minidiscs , as
considered old tec now.

Standard audio ones are still available from suppliers (mail order), not
so much in shops I suppose.

The local supplier I found, has 2 types , seems "digital" for data only
minidisc systems and "normal" ones - I'll have to find out about if
cross-compatible

"Digital" data only ones are used in stuff like "multitrack" recorders e.g.
Yamaha MD8, and allow different formats (1, 2, 4 or 8 tracks of audio) with
appropriate reduction in total recording time.

"Normal" ones are stereo or mono only. Stick with whatever you've already got
the broken recording on.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rereading that minidisc.org page the JE510 is a machine that you cannot go
down that route.
Went down the lo-tech route. Dismantled a small part of the deck to get to
the eject/inject micro microswitch. Glued a bit of thread to the little
flipper and tied to a rubber band to hook over a suitable component.
Load as normal the donor MD full of silence, pull the thread, manually
rotate the eject gear to eject that MD, rotate the other way to take-in the
target disc. Go into Edit/name to force a TOC change and eject.
Recovered full recording without gaps, in stereo , and as a bonus undeleted
a bit of previous recording on the end

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Forgot the stage of releasing the thread to allow the MD to eject normally

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:15:54 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

Rereading that minidisc.org page the JE510 is a machine that you cannot go
down that route.
Went down the lo-tech route. Dismantled a small part of the deck to get to
the eject/inject micro microswitch. Glued a bit of thread to the little
flipper and tied to a rubber band to hook over a suitable component.
Load as normal the donor MD full of silence, pull the thread, manually
rotate the eject gear to eject that MD, rotate the other way to take-in the
target disc. Go into Edit/name to force a TOC change and eject.
Recovered full recording without gaps, in stereo , and as a bonus undeleted
a bit of previous recording on the end

Heh. Good hack!

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rich Webb wrote in message
[...]

With all the royalist crap going on in England at the moment I may get time
next week to return to my other hack.
Much more universal IR remote control. I've now got a 64 bit (8 x DIL sw)
parallel to serial converter and 2 oscillators to take a pair of IR codes,
in sequence, that fortuitously unlock one feature of a unit with no
available IR r/c. Load those codes , from DSO monitoring, into my converter
to feed IR to the unit to be hacked, to zero in on the core model code and
expand out for the other function codes, then load into a learning remote.
I must get some more of these excellent learners
http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Uni...nction/dp/B004
3VTRAQ
great value as no LCD to bump up the cost, I see they are now 5.99 ,not 4.99
as of last month
The search modes are usefully different, can designate manufacturer's codes
instead of the usual option of the whole lot.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Rich Webb wrote in message
[...]

Sorry for Off Topic post, but my dear old Mum's TV remote does not have a
dedicated Subtitle button for turning the Hard of Hearing Subtitles on and
off, which she likes to do.
Doing this via the menus is a total pain, as they are really badly written
and this command is way way down the list.

Are these learning remotes able to emulate such a button that does not
appear on the original remote? I'm hoping the Subtitle button will be

kind
of generic?

Cheers,

Gareths Mum.

Perhaps with macro option - possible on that learner remote mentioned above
, but again not mentioned in their sales blurb

With my hack kit , should be possible , if there is a single code buried in
the TV decoder
Parallel to serial converter
Requirements 8 x 4021 , 8x 8way DIL sw, 2x 4011 for simple adjustable
monostable and
for gated adjustable 30 to 50 KHz oscillator, using a reasonably stable
square audio oscillator
as clock source, fed through on the inverted waveform, through the daisy
chained
shift registers. Push sw to go from parallel load to series shift.
The DIL sws for setting up the parallel data (one bit is a 1 and 0 , 3 is
101010 etc but the zeros bave to be reintroduced at the output m/s)
eg 11222322412313211 up to 64 bits and the m/s arranged
to set the bit lenght and output say 3 "1"s for continuous 3 x1 duration
output.
That gating the 40KHz oscillator to drive visible and IR LED
Working exerciser but not had time to delve into this project further at the
moment

But you need a DSO to read the bit stream of one of the functions to get the
model coding
as distinct from function coding, then manually sequenct through the switch
settings to hit upon the
subtitle code

this is a useflu background to IR coding structures
http://read.pudn.com/downloads157/so.../IR%20Formats%
202.PDF

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Rich Webb wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, I'll take that as a No, then.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Rich Webb wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:15:54 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

Went down the lo-tech route. Dismantled a small part of the deck to get to
the eject/inject micro microswitch. Glued a bit of thread to the little
flipper and tied to a rubber band to hook over a suitable component.
Load as normal the donor MD full of silence, pull the thread, manually
rotate the eject gear to eject that MD, rotate the other way to take-in the
target disc. Go into Edit/name to force a TOC change and eject.
Recovered full recording without gaps, in stereo , and as a bonus undeleted
a bit of previous recording on the end

Heh. Good hack!

+1 on that -- glad it worked out for you!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

That learner has only 1 macro but with up to 16 button pushes so for your
purposes
Learn all the normal buttons off your set's remote control
Set MACRO as TV/Menu/direction ...... direction (up to 14 keys), to bring
cursor down to subtitles option

Then Subtitles-on would be something like
MACRO , OK
Subtitles-off would be
MACRO , DOWN, OK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ah, that might be a yes, then. Didn't know about macros.

At that price I think I'll buy one and give it a go.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

At that price its a good insurance policy for any r/c'ed bit of kit as the
learned functions are stored in EEProm so you can load it up from the
original remote and leave it or the original in a drawer , away from dogs /
drinks/ heavy people etc

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

removing batteries before storing in a drawer , of course

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/29/12 07:16, N_Cook wrote:
Hour of audio recording fine, at switch off instead of going to Writing TOC
a message come up Er Md something. Try to play it and it comes up as Blank
Disc. Other discs play and record on this recorder. This corrupted disc
won't play on another player either

Now you know what everybody else stopped using MiniDisc, you child
molesting faggot.