Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Clean dirty bathtub

"Baron" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Robert Macy wrote:
On May 26, 4:08 pm, "
wrote:
My bathtub has a stain in it that is impossible to remove so far.
Here
is a picture of
it:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7629878927850/
.

What should I use to remove the stain? I tried bleach and it does
not work. It feels rather rough and even powderly at the stained
area.

Thanks

Whink, mild HF acid

HF? OMG! NEVER!

Even the tiniest amount of the most diluted Hydrofluoric acid is a
calcium blocker and will stop your heart. The treatment for HF
poisoning is hit-and-miss.

I think you meant HCl or hydrochloric acid, sometimes called Muriatic
acid. Be prepared for fumes and set up some good ventilation.

Believe it or not, there is a product on the market that contains HF
for use in rust removal. I can not remember the name but it is even
sold in my local Ace Hardware. The first time I heard of it, I
demanded the fellow who told me about it bring in the bottle because I
could not believe it. Sure enough, the primary active ingredient was
HF. He took it away from his mother who was about to use it on a
kitchen oven. The scary thing to me about HF is that the deadly
effects are not immediate when the skin is exposed to a tiny amount.
The pain gets worse until it is unbearable. By that time, the HF has
made it to the bone and its calcium channel blocking effects can occur
shortly thereafter.

if his tub surface feels rough,the porcelain has already lost it's
gloss(been etched) and need to be refinished or replaced.
If refinished,the new surface must be treated gently,NO abrasive
cleaners,and use a "tub mat" made from that rubberized shelf liner(it's not
antislip).
if you use a regular tub mat,the anti-slip suction cups will rip up the new
finish.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik