Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob_Villa Bob_Villa is offline

Default Computer CPU & powersupply questions

Have

On Friday, May 25, 2012 10:29:01 AM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
Have a desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR1522X) that keeps locking up
after the screensaver comes on, and occasionally reboots for no reason.
Pulled the powersupply (Bestec ATX-250-12Z-RevD2) but didn't see anything
like swollen capacitors or toasted components. Put it back in and checked
the +5V. +5V is sitting at 5.16, and I did not find any adjustment pots
while I had the thing open. Believing I have a flaky powersupply, I am
about to order a new one, but have to ask... Do they not build the ability
to adjust voltages into computer powersupplies these days? Or is it just
this computer? It's almost 10 years old, but we've never really had any
problems with it. I did replace the filter caps for the +5V about five
years ago, cause the device would not boot and they were swollen, but that's
it. Is a new PS my only real option at this point? Any help is
appreciated...

Thanks,

Dave

Have you added any software/hardware lately? It may not be playing nice with your display drivers. Check for an updated driver from the card/MB manufacture.