Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It Pays to Do Some Math... 1.3 Million lines of code

I have confidence in you. It will be fine.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I finished a prototype mold for somebody yesterday. Just a little 2 cavity
to test the concept. The I nested it out and blew it up to a full work
envelope 22 cavity mold and started it cutting about 10:00 last night. When
I ran a simulation on it it said it would take 23 1/2 hours. WHAT? Its
just a simple little stacked 3d cylinder shape. Didn't take me ten minutes
to do the CAD, and maybe half an hour to do the CAM. I let my "gee that
will be easy" thought over ride the fact that it still takes a lot of time
to cut a 3D cavity. Oops. For some reason I was thinking 5 or 6 hours
tops. I couldn't figure out why it will take that long. Then I scrolled to
the end of the file and checked the line counter.

1,391,851

Ok, so there are an average of 2 comment lines per MOP, and 2 lines of setup
words per MOP. Each nest creates its own group of MOPS, so that is a total
of 111 MOPs. Worst case there are 222 non-functional comment lines and
about the same number of machine setup lines of code. 1,391,851 - 450 misc
non movement lines of code.... is an insignificant difference. Most folks
would round up and say 1.4 MILLION lines of code. LOL.

I'm just praying it doesn't crash. I have no clue how I would recover this
job if I lost reference. Should finish some time this evening. I gotta
remember to break these up into smaller job files in the future.