Mike at American Sycamore

Default Need Dovetail Jig That Can Do Half-Blind and Through-Dovetails

(Jay Chan) wrote in message . com...
I am looking for a dovetail jig that can do both half-blind-dovetails
or through-dovetails.

The 12" Porter-Cable dovetail jig looks very nice, and seems to be
able to do everything. But it costs $110.

The 12" JET dovetail jig is priced very reasonable. But its product
description says that it handles half-blind-dovetails; I assume this
means it cannot handle through-dovetails.

The 12" Central Machine dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is priced very
very low ($30). But it seems to be able to cut half-bind-dovetails
just like the JET. Moreover, its template seems to be black. According
to some messages in this newsgroup, I should avoid the one from Harbor
Freight that has black template because it is made from plastic.

Another 12" dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is also priced quite
reasonable ($46). It claims that it can handle half-blind-dovetails
and standard-dovetails (I assume this means through-dovetails). This
is good. But it says that it only comes with one template. I am
wondering how I can cut both half-blind and through-dovetails with one
template. May be I am not understanding this correctly. Currently,
this one is the most promising for me. Does anyone use this particular
model? You can see it he

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

buy once...cry once..."ain't no secrets"...."ain't no short
cuts"......Buy or team up with a buddy and buy a leigh....anything
less could be a waste of time and effort and will end up in
frustration

I know that the Leigh is expensive and is a hugh investment if you do
not cut lot of dovetails, but it is the most well around good jig.
Perhaps you could sell a couple of dovetailed blanket chest and help
pay for the jig. Good luck.....
Mike from American Sycamore
Good luck