Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default heat treat queries

Also -- note that the dimensions of hardened steel are larger
than those of the annealed steel, so make sure that your thread and
shank diameters are made with this under consideration. You certainly
won't be able to use a die to fix the size after hardening. :-)

If this is an ordinary bolt in a reasonable size, what is wrong
with buying one of the proper size and strength off the shelf, instead
of going to all this work? Or do you want to get some experience at the
hardening process?

Enjoy,
Don.

Shoot, I didn't allow for it growing. The only way I had to test the
1.5 by 16TPI threads was to put the whole 30 ton cylinder in the lathe
and try to thread it on. I ended up a bit tight. Took fiddling with
the old triangle file but finnally got it to spin all the way in real
nice.

This bolt holds the block on the end of the cylinder to bolt press
beak and other dies to. I just wanted it as good as i could get it. I
guess "as is" is good enough. I've never trusted my old heat treat
oven, guess it won't get used again this time.

Karl