Greg Millen

Default Storage of hardware - ideas needed please. (possible duplicate)

Well, my untidy ways have finally got the better of me. I searched the shop
for nearly an hour looking for a packet of 12mm coach head bolts I had just
bought. I sat the project down and began the hunt, looked high and low,
checked the bins, drawers, shelves, floor, benches - everywhere. Finally I
decided to just go to the borg and get some more, so I put the project in a
safe place and, you guessed it, there they were - under the project. While I
was looking, I realised that I have never attempted to get a proper system
set up, and now I was paying the price (yet again).

Reading the archives, I came up with some broken links and a few ideas (and
I am still googling away). But one thing the years spent here have taught
me - I will not be the only one to benefit from a discussion on this subject
(I've seen photos of a lot of your shops guys).

So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible,
c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you can
help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and labelled hardware
system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing any pics you may have. If
you have a link, great.

I would like to know the way you store - by type, size, nuts, bolts, nails
etc.

Containers? Bins? Jars (standard or sealed top)? Boxes? Pegboard packs? Is
there some software that is good for doing labels? What other considerations
should I be aware of?

I don't care what it looks like in the end, so long as it is functional and
safe - (I'd rather not have to pick hardware out of broken glass again, it's
the pits, DAMHIKT)

TIA

--
Greg