Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Loctite vs. various lock/split washers vs...... epoxy??

I believe you'll find that numerous plastics "melt" with MEK.. it's an
ingredient in PVC-ABS plumbing fitting cement.

If a solvent is hot enough that it "burns" a plastic (melts the surface on
contact), the plastic material will typically continue to soften as more of
the solvent comes into contact with it.
Hot solvents such as acetone, lacquer thinner and toluene will generally
melt hard plastic compounds and styrene, or many of the rigid plastic
compounds that don't bend easily/aren't typically flexible, but also foams
such as styrofoam.

--
WB

"doc" wrote in message
On May 15, 12:36 am, "anorton"

The army uses this stuff in the turret of the Abrams
tank.http://www.vibra-tite.com/vc3.php
They found it is the only removable thread locker that can withstand
the...

The web page says that the solvent is MEK and a plastic like substance
is deposited.

So, I guess, the obvious question is "What plastic dissolves in MEK" ?

DOC

Something about inquiring minds...