Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default From Railroad to Bed Rail

Welding OBF old bed frame isn't very reliable either, IME.. I've had MIG
welds that completely pulled out when stressed to check for integrity.

I haven't tried brazing, but that may be the most reliable method of joining
OBF, other than punching and riveting as it's done in manufacturing bed
frames.

Cutting with a thin reinforced abrasive disk is likely the most efficient
method of cutting, since random hard spots will wipe out saw teeth quickly.

I also haven't tried carbide drilling.. maybe someone could comment whether
that works very well.

I've found that normal mill steel is much less problematic.. even if it's
not free, projects progress more quickly.

--
WB

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
Recycling railroad steel into angle iron.. Sales video, but fun to watch
the operation... (found this on another list, thought it was interesting
for metalworking content)

In case you ever wondered why your drill won't go through that angle
iron you salvaged from an old bed frame or street sign:

http://www.jssteel.com/content/take-tour-jersey-shore-steel

Carla

Why does your money only create jobs when government spends it for you?
Because SHUT UP.