Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default HOA sides with thieves

On Wed, 16 May 2012 11:40:01 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

On 5/16/2012 10:12 AM, wrote:
On May 16, 8:34 am, bob wrote:
On May 16, 6:46 am, wrote:

"[HOUSTON] Just a few weeks ago, after the birth of their son, [the
homeowner] had burglar bars installed. But now the homeowners association
said the bars hurt property values and must come down immediately. And if
they dont it will start fining the [homeowner] $200 a day."

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Man-c...hborhood-crime...

Normally I DONT LIKE HOAs rules however in this case what is the home
owner trying to accomplish?

note the photo, theres a glass wndow in view at ground level.

a burglar could easily use the window to gain access.............

the home owners hard earned money would of been better spent on a good
security system

Yes, I noticed that right away too. And those bars sure
do look like hell. I would have gone with a security system
as you suggest. Also, if he wants to make the door more
difficult to gain access through, a more secure door
correctly installed and a good lockset would accomplish
most of what he's getting with those bars. I'd side with
the HOA on this one.

I agree....bars sufficient to keep out burglars may also keep out
fire/rescue folks. Happens every now and then, esp in high-crime
neighborhoods. I rather like the idea of a "safe room" (especially in a
rural area) with a sturdy door and a cell phone that stays charged and
in the room.

And why not a 200' tunnel from the safe room in case the burglars
brought a couple cans of gas to torch the place?
I'm just glad I don't live in a high crime area.
Somebody did steal my wheelbarrow recently. Probably the scrap metal
collectors that cruise by all the time. *******s.
If I was in a high crime area, I'd look at a few options.
1. Move.
2. See if crime could be reduced (Neighborhood watch, etc.)
3. A loud alarm system and a Remington autoloader backup.

Making my home a fort isn't an option.

--
Vic