Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default grinding drills

That drill sharpening jig is one of many machines that KAINDL markets in
Europe.. I don't know of any US or Canadian distributors, but there may be a
few.

I saw that same jig, new, for sale on eBay.de for about 180 EUR (225 with
the grinding disk in the video).. search kaindl-de. No mention of shipping
to the US.

In many fixtures/sharpening jigs where the drill doesn't rotate during
grinding, it's necessary to adjust/relocate the rotational position of the
drill as the point is being ground back toward the shank, since the twist
usually isn't being followed.
When grinding drill points by hand, it's an automatic adjustment made in the
motion of the drill, but clamping a drill in a fixture typically requires
resetting adjustments as the drill is shortened.

It seemed odd to me, that in the video, the holder/drill were moved forward,
then tipped up slightly - making the drill off-axis with the guide.. maybe
the operator doing the demonstration wasn't familiar with drill sharpening,
or the purpose of the guide.

--
WB

"Denis G." wrote in message

I hand grind on the OD face and always start with the cutting edge
first. It helps me set the position I want. My drill bit grinding is
always a work in progress. Sometimes I mark the bit with a magic
marker to help to tell me how the bit is cutting and what edge to re-
dress.
There's a video of a homeowner-type German-made bit sharpener that I'd
like to try (but I don't know if it's available in the US):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w6m...eature=related