Posted to rec.woodworking
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Designing a work table with AC

On 5/14/2012 8:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I was just previewing a book on motors at Half Price Books, in a
chair. And it revealed that the phrase I was looking for is
"phase-split" not "pole-split" as SM suggested. Evidently the
capacitor causes a 90-degree phase shift from a single pole. Do you
know alot about that stuff?

That is for starting, not running.

Yes, I can wire the motor from previous connections (but I am still
trying to understand anyway). BTW, the old motor had 3 wire and the
new one has 4, and I still understand what I needs to do to replace
the motor. I still believe that the motor is running from 1 pole,

NO!!!!! Bill you do not understand this stuff. The motor is running off of
2 120v legs - each 180 degress out of phase with each other. Across both of
them you derive the 240v. The motor CANNOT run from one leg. I don't know
how they wire the contactor in those things - never looked at one, or at a
wiring diagram, but I can assure you - you have 2 legs of 120v running that
motor. I highly doubt that they only switch one leg as Stormin Mormon
stated over at alt.hvac. There are too many issues with his statement than
I care to take up here. As for your own interpretation of the wiring
diagram - I can't say you are wrong because I have not seen the diagram.
But - I can tell you that indeed you are wrong, because you need to have
both of those legs and anything you are intrepreting from the diagram is
wrong. You just cannot run a 240v motor on one leg.

not two, and the wiriing diagram seems to support that. I suggest
that the phase shift needed is coming from the capacitor.

I suggest that you do not understand electricity and should not make such
statements. That is simply wrong.

Are you
sure I'm wrong and you're not?

Nope - not at all. After all - you've read the wiring diagram and do not
even know the difference between 120v and 240v - so... you must be right.
I'm done with this. My last word is my caution to you Bill - kill the
breaker before you begin any work. You are dangerous!

I don't want you to end up with egg
on your face.

Oh please...

here you go, very apropos for this discussion

http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/faccb1307b7f012f2fe000163e41dd5b?width=900.0