Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Designing a work table with AC

Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
Bill wrote:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

One pole _cannot_ power a motor.

Well, There is a wire connected to Common. There are a couple connected
to a capacitor to start the motor, as well.

Are those 2 enough Scott, assuming something gives the motor a push to
get it started?

Bill

If you don't have the wiring diagram for the motor (which should have come with it),

BTW, we are talkin about the OFM (Outdoor Fan Motor). The wiring
diagram on the motor indicates the Brown and Brown/W wire go to the
capacitor, and that Black and Yellow are Line (which to me, means that I
will attach them to the switched side of the connector). I have the
wiring digram for the condenser unit (from which the new configuration
differs in at least 2 ways).

Actually, the person at the electrical supply told me that the yellow
wire went to Common. Common is indirectly related to the other pole, so
maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.

I would have done the install today, except I replaced my fuse and I
wanted to let my crankcase heater run for a while before I do the swap.

and you don't have one in the installation instructions for the compressor, or you
don't have the electrical experience to understand what should be connected to what
in a 240VAC 30+ amp branch circuit, you probably shouldn't be doing it without someone
to check your work before you attempt to energize the circuit.

At this point, I have little concern about how to do the replacement.
I'd still like to know about the yellows wires though. If yellow
correspond to the other pole, where in the heck is common?

Here is a link to the (old) wiring digram expect that I have
2 capacitors (rather than a dual one)

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...t/38byc-2w.pdf

Where is COMMON shown on the diagram? I was thinking that both poles
wanted to "return" on COMMON. Please help me out with this if I am
mistaken. The diagram seems to suggest yellow may be hot, and I'm okay
with that (that was actually bothering me). I'll install the motor
correctly. But where is Common?

Thank you,
Bill

scott