Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Designing a work table with AC

Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

If there
were ever a way to get him to just do something without all of the
questions, he'd be thrilled at what he learned and accomplished. I'd
actually love to see that on his behalf.

I figuring out, by myself, how one pole powered my 220v AC motor
yesterday. The analysis only took me about 45 seconds, but it took me
quite a few hours to prepare to do that 45 seconds worth of work.

Just a heads up - you do understand that circuit is a 230v circuit, right?
Both legs are powering your motor. Not trying to correct you here, but that
is an important aspect to understand when working with this stuff.

That is what I expected too, and that is the reason I found it so
frustrating (since I had already accepted what you wrote as
fundamental). However I strongly believe it is wrong. One pole is
powering that 230v motor and its capacitor (I think you meant "pole"
rather than "legs" above).

One pole _cannot_ power a motor.

Well, There is a wire connected to Common. There are a couple connected
to a capacitor to start the motor, as well.

I think the experts use the term
"split-pole", although I couldn't locate decent reference online. When I
described the phenomenon as I saw it, Stormin' Mormon provided me with
the terminology.

Don't get your terminology from a missionary.

I don't discriminate with regard to religion.

scott