Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Is it possible to see a flying bullet?

On Mon, 14 May 2012 00:39:56 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:

On 5/13/2012 8:49 PM, Ignoramus6213 wrote:
I was at a gun range today with a friend, shooting a 9mm hand gun.

When he was shooting, I was standing behind him, watching. After a few
shots, I realized that I may have seen a glimpse of the bullets as they
flew downrange.

I watched some more, and it did seem this way, although it was hard to
see them and the barrel flash did not clarify things.

I am wondering, if, perhaps, it is known that flying bullets of that
sort of size and speed can be actually seen.

Very few shooters here?

Of course one can see a bullet fly, with the right lighting it's very
common thing with 22 caliber and 45 caliber handguns.

I've certainly seen BB's coming out of a moderately good gun -- a clear
day with the sun at your back seems to help. Basically if the trajectory
is flat and your eye is close to the axis of the barrel, the bullet
doesn't move in your field of vision, no matter how rapidly it may be
shrinking.

But I haven't shot many 'real' guns, so I don't have direct experience.

http://www.wescottdesign.com