Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
678.714.5764 678.714.5764 is offline

Default Is it possible to see a flying bullet?

On 5/14/2012 6:18 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2012 09:10:28 -0400, "Steve
wrote:

Ignoramus6213 wrote:
I was at a gun range today with a friend, shooting a 9mm hand gun.

When he was shooting, I was standing behind him, watching. After a few
shots, I realized that I may have seen a glimpse of the bullets as
they flew downrange.

I watched some more, and it did seem this way, although it was hard to
see them and the barrel flash did not clarify things.

I am wondering, if, perhaps, it is known that flying bullets of that
sort of size and speed can be actually seen.

If you are behind the shooter and in line or very close to the
centerline of his shots you can see the bullet as it travels.
Larger diameter is easier to see.

Or .22 match ammo in bright sunlight. My friend used to bring his
match rifle and Eley target ammo to a quarry where we'd shoot targets.
If I stood behind him, I could watch every round going downrange.

I'll bet you could text on your smart phone and not miss a single round,
either.