Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric forklift battery chargers, do they have to be special or not

"Ignoramus8579" wrote in message

The stacker comes with a weakened battery, and without a battery
charger. The previous owner charger it with a "car charger". I am
wondering, what should one get to charge this one. It has a 12v
Deka battery that weights, perhaps, 300 lbs.

My automatic charger fails on older batteries that require increased
voltage to equalize one or more weak cells. I use a home-made manual
charger with a current meter and a Variac that efficiently adjusts
output voltage. Sometimes "12V" batteries need as much as 16V-17V to
fully charge all cells.

jsw