Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Tube cutting on lathe

Maybe what would benefit your assembly operation the most is a new/better
method of press-forming the short tubular sections (grommet-like
connector?).

The outside shop's machines are likely very efficient at what they do.. even
if you could produce the parts in 3-5x the amount of time the other shop's
machines can do them, I doubt that you could realistically save that 50
cents.

You can be sure that RCM will continue to deteriorate with more of the
off-topic BS as long as those who keep participating in the non-metalworking
BS threads keep trying to accomplish something by responding.

I choose not to read off-topic posts.. if I want misinformation about
history or current events, I can always check out MSM mainstream media.
The Delete key works fine.

When folks here stop participating in fanatic ideology worship and hate
mongering posts, this newsgroup will attract and retain metalworking
enthusiasts with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience.

--
WB

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
On 5/11/2012 5:36 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:
snip
Halve it your way.

Good one!

1/2 of 1% gets cut in house, it's just a PITA. I've see the operation at
the the commercial cutter, they do it with a parting tool on a machine
that supports the tube from the inside and the outside, it's like a big
lathe with all automatic operations. The ID is chamfered with a reamer
type tool and the OD is chamfered with a grinding operation on another
machine. They WILL do the shorter lengths but with a 8-10 week lead time.
We also use miles of thicker tube, .062" wall that is no problem with
custom lengths cut in house but the .049" wall is delicate by comparison
and any imperfection will cause it to accordion or not swage properly.
When that happens it almost no worth recovering the parts.

I thought it was an interesting challenge and that maybe someone had
magic. I had no idea what it would turn into. I guess that RCM is tuned
to other things, too bad. But, most people DID offer good ideas in the
spirit of the old, old RCM.

So, my conclusion is to bite the bullet with the lead time from the
commercial cutter and keep shorter pieces on the shelf.