Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whoyakidding whoyakidding is offline

Default Tube cutting on lathe

On Thu, 10 May 2012 17:37:15 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

"whoyakidding" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:16:04 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I don't have a dry cut saw.

$265? Your time must be worth peanuts to even think of using a lathe
to avoid that expense.

The tube becomes the arbor hole by being press into a stack of wheel
brushes and rubber spacers using a 50 ton hydraulic press. Any
resistance from a burr or any other defect and the tube becomes an
accordion and is very difficult to recover the parts.

I can't believe you haven't already tried a wire wheel for deburring.
Seriously you should hire someone that has at least 3 months
experience at low tech fabrication to teach you the basics.

Most of the orders are for 4" and the company that cuts those for us
does a good job...the should, they charge $0.50 each!

Whoa! Man you're tighter than two coats of paint.

The orders for 2'
and 3" are very few by comparison but are a pain and we have to have a
skilled person do the job.

Skilled person to lop off tubing? Arf arf. It must be a hullabaloo
there when it comes time to change the filter in the shop vac.

The parts CAN be deburred with a wire wheel but the edges need just a bit of
chamfer.

I doubt that. You'll get a small radius with a coarse wire wheel
anyway. Plenty for pressing into a bore.

I have to watch every penny, especially to conform to new regulations,
increased taxes, increased medical insurance and increased costs in
general...AND, I have to compete with the China, Germany, Spain and even
Russia. I've had many products stolen and produced overseas. Our gov.
doesn't care about patents or American manufacturing in general.

Oh for christs sake don't try to blame your inexperience on the
****ing government.

I'm in the inner city, a lot of my people are very low skilled but have
pride and like the feeling of accomplishment, of having a job and producing
something, feeding their families and contributing to society and the
community. Most have to be trained to read a tape measure.

What a bunch of unmitigated horse****. I can accept that a skinflint
ends up with the lowest skilled that have their limitations but we're
talking about a chop saw. Left hand push right and right hand push
down repeat until they lose their sanity and all hope of a fulfilling
life.

Have you ever
taught someone that has no concept of fractions to read a tape measure?

You seem to have forgotten that you already claimed that I'd never
worked a day in my life and was living off cheese checks. That's how I
KNOW that your habit is to fall back on horse****. If you were twice
as smart you might realize how ridiculous you sound. Regardless
running a chop saw doesn't require knowing how to measure count or
speak and the idea that you can't train some kid who grew up on video
games how to do it is almost as ludicrous as setting the job up for
the same people to do on a lathe as if that's going to take less
skill.

have people that can't count yet alone do multiplication or division. None
can run machine tools or even a chop saw, I have to get a mechanic or
machinist or a supervisor to do those jobs

Arf arf. Your unskilled can't be trained for the easiest of tasks and
your skilled people do grunt jobs and your supervisor can't supervise
is that your story? And now you're on the internet having a guy you
claimed has never worked show you a page in the Northern Tool catalog.
Here's some good advice: if you won't hire someone that can take the
initiative in figuring out the fastest and easiest way to lop up some
tubing then use the time you waste on windbaggery to visit some
production shops to see how things are done.