Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tube cutting on lathe

"whoyakidding" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:16:04 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I don't have a dry cut saw.

$265? Your time must be worth peanuts to even think of using a lathe
to avoid that expense.

The tube becomes the arbor hole by being press into a stack of wheel
brushes and rubber spacers using a 50 ton hydraulic press. Any
resistance from a burr or any other defect and the tube becomes an
accordion and is very difficult to recover the parts.

I can't believe you haven't already tried a wire wheel for deburring.
Seriously you should hire someone that has at least 3 months
experience at low tech fabrication to teach you the basics.

Most of the orders are for 4" and the company that cuts those for us
does a good job...the should, they charge $0.50 each!

Whoa! Man you're tighter than two coats of paint.

The orders for 2'
and 3" are very few by comparison but are a pain and we have to have a
skilled person do the job.

Skilled person to lop off tubing? Arf arf. It must be a hullabaloo
there when it comes time to change the filter in the shop vac.

The parts CAN be deburred with a wire wheel but the edges need just a bit of
chamfer.

I have to watch every penny, especially to conform to new regulations,
increased taxes, increased medical insurance and increased costs in
general...AND, I have to compete with the China, Germany, Spain and even
Russia. I've had many products stolen and produced overseas. Our gov.
doesn't care about patents or American manufacturing in general.

I'm in the inner city, a lot of my people are very low skilled but have
pride and like the feeling of accomplishment, of having a job and producing
something, feeding their families and contributing to society and the
community. Most have to be trained to read a tape measure. Have you ever
taught someone that has no concept of fractions to read a tape measure? I
have people that can't count yet alone do multiplication or division. None
can run machine tools or even a chop saw, I have to get a mechanic or
machinist or a supervisor to do those jobs...that's not part of production.
BUT---some of the e4mployees are absolute ARTISTS making product!