Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_2_] amdx[_2_] is offline

Default JVC 55" Rear-projection TV

On 5/10/2012 11:07 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2012 01:33:44 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the
failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly
easy to fix.

Too late now.

Some people never do any P.M. ;-)

Preventive maintenance on a picture tube?

I tried fixing a TV from the 90's once. I'm sure I could have done it, if
it had been the least bit designed for mantenance. The damned back and
bottom were molded together, so if you took off the back then it had no
bottom (or support for the board, which was left dangling) and it kept
threatening to fall back and crack the neck off. I decided it wasn't worth
the bother or danger.

Same here. The only easy access was to that alignment board (with those ~100
pots and the backside of the CRT's... the rest was accessible only by
disassembly of the particle-board-bonded-vinyl case.

...Jim Thompson

Have you melted any coins or started a fire yet with the Fresnell lens?
Wear two pairs of sun glasses or some cutting goggles,
the hot spot is extremely bright.
Mikek