Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default JVC 55" Rear-projection TV

Our 18 year-old rear projection TV (JVC 55" Letter-box) has finally failed...
or not quite... the blue sweep only, dips dramatically in the upper middle of
the screen making for some garish looking pictures... particularly on old B&W
Hitchcock re-runs (playing here w/o commercials ;-)

So I bought a 55" LCD (LED-backlit) at 1/4 the price of the original.

The new set weighs 40#, the old one is so heavy I can barely
lift one end. I had visions of throwing it on my pick-up truck and taking it
to this weekend's hazardous waste at the local park. But I'd need a couple of
moving-company-strength assistants.

Anyone here in Arizona want it?

If not I'll bust it up and dispose in liftable chunks.

Also listed at...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/2994884637.html

Contact info in the sig...

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Throw in on craigslist or whatever and get fifty bucks or something
for it. Or even give it away. It has a convergence problem and can be
fixed. But if you bust it up you them waste the pollution caused to
build the thing.

Plus the fact that those things are ten times more reliable than the
new stuff so someone without alot of money could have it for a while.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything?

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Thompson wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything?

It'd make a bodacious oscilloscope for your local
technical museum.

--Winston

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On May 7, 10:32*am, Jim Thompson To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@On-My-
Web-Site.com wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

* * *http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). *Is that worth anything?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO * * * * * * * * * * * * * *| * *mens * * |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. * * * * * * * * * * * * | * * et * * *|
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems *| * *manus * *|
| Phoenix, Arizona *85048 * *Skype: Contacts Only *| * * * * * * |
| Voice480)460-2350 *Fax: Available upon request | *Brass Rat *|
| E-mail Icon athttp://www.analog-innovations.com| * *1962 * * |

I love to cook with wine. * * Sometimes I even put it in the food.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO * * * * * * * * * * * * * *| * *mens * * |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. * * * * * * * * * * * * | * * et * * *|
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems *| * *manus * *|
| Phoenix, Arizona *85048 * *Skype: Contacts Only *| * * * * * * |
| Voice480)460-2350 *Fax: Available upon request | *Brass Rat *|
| E-mail Icon athttp://www.analog-innovations.com| * *1962 * * |

I love to cook with wine. * * Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Copper is just NOT that expensive yet. And, don't see any gold.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Thompson wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything?

...Jim Thompson

Hook up wire from the harness. :-)
Ed
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Web-Site.com wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by

force ;-)

* * *http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). *Is that worth anything?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *...Jim Thompson

snip

And don't tell me, the new set picture is MASSIVELY better than the
old one even on its best day. Try Craig's list and then dismantle it.
RIP JVC. Why didn't you replace it sooner?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On 5/7/2012 12:32 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything?

...Jim Thompson

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-FRESNEL-L...em2a1c02 1708
$80.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38X24-SOLAR-...em27c5d1 0b13
$34.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-FRESNEL-L...em27c551 aca7
$97.50

That's going three pages deep on ebay.

Some have a frame built and installed.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2012 23:57:09 -0400, ehsjr wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything?

...Jim Thompson

Hook up wire from the harness. :-)
Ed

Full knock-down...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE..._KnockDown.pdf

They don't make them like that anymore.

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

Jim Thompson wrote:
Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Gutted_JVC.jpg

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything?

...Jim Thompson

Hook up wire from the harness. :-)
Ed

Full knock-down...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE..._KnockDown.pdf

They don't make them like that anymore.

...Jim Thompson

Good grief, you think there's enough timmers in there?

I counted - I saw 115 trimpots on that one board. Damnation!

However, it is a scavengers dream. Lots of well marked VLSI chips on
there.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Thompson wrote:

Full knock-down...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE..._KnockDown.pdf

They don't make them like that anymore.

Maybe an astronomy club would want those lenses.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On 09/05/2012 20:19, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Full knock-down...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE..._KnockDown.pdf

They don't make them like that anymore.

Maybe an astronomy club would want those lenses.

They would be nothing like diffraction limited or monochromatic so the
best bet is to donate them to the scouts for fire starting with the sun.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 9 May 2012 15:19:55 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Full knock-down...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE..._KnockDown.pdf

They don't make them like that anymore.

Maybe an astronomy club would want those lenses.

I suspected they might be good for something.

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Full knock-down...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE..._KnockDown.pdf

They don't make them like that anymore.

Maybe an astronomy club would want those lenses.

I suspected they might be good for something.

...Jim Thompson

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the failure
mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the failure
mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly easy to
fix.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2012 16:39:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the failure
mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly easy to
fix.

And optical interface between CRT face and lens... cute!

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2012 16:39:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Jim Thompson wrote:
??
?? Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the failure
?? mechanism... leaking oil ;-)
?
?
? Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly easy to
?fix.

And optical interface between CRT face and lens... cute!

Another problem with it was something growing in the coolant, witch
causes it to run hotter, and affecting the focus or having a dim area in
that color.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the
failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly easy to
fix.

Too late now.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the
failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly easy to
fix.

Too late now.

Some people never do any P.M. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the
failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly
easy to fix.

Too late now.

Some people never do any P.M. ;-)

Preventive maintenance on a picture tube?

I tried fixing a TV from the 90's once. I'm sure I could have done it, if
it had been the least bit designed for mantenance. The damned back and
bottom were molded together, so if you took off the back then it had no
bottom (or support for the board, which was left dangling) and it kept
threatening to fall back and crack the neck off. I decided it wasn't worth
the bother or danger.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the
failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly
easy to fix.

Too late now.

Some people never do any P.M. ;-)

Preventive maintenance on a picture tube?

On tube type TVs. I did that for about nine months, in the US Army.
They were used as video monitors/TVs in classrooms & Air Traffic Control
Towers. where you wanted them to work to their design. Since those
projection CRTS are know to leak after so many years, what is wrong with
replacing them before they fail and damage the circuit boards?

I tried fixing a TV from the 90's once. I'm sure I could have done it, if
it had been the least bit designed for mantenance. The damned back and
bottom were molded together, so if you took off the back then it had no
bottom (or support for the board, which was left dangling) and it kept
threatening to fall back and crack the neck off. I decided it wasn't worth
the bother or danger.

It isn't that difficult, if you really want to fix one. That problem
didn't start in the '90s, and was done on computer monitors as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2012 01:33:44 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the
failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-)

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly
easy to fix.

Too late now.

Some people never do any P.M. ;-)

Preventive maintenance on a picture tube?

I tried fixing a TV from the 90's once. I'm sure I could have done it, if
it had been the least bit designed for mantenance. The damned back and
bottom were molded together, so if you took off the back then it had no
bottom (or support for the board, which was left dangling) and it kept
threatening to fall back and crack the neck off. I decided it wasn't worth
the bother or danger.

Same here. The only easy access was to that alignment board (with those ~100
pots and the backside of the CRT's... the rest was accessible only by
disassembly of the particle-board-bonded-vinyl case.

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Have you melted any coins or started a fire yet with the Fresnell lens?
Wear two pairs of sun glasses or some cutting goggles,
the hot spot is extremely bright.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

I haven't tried it yet. But it's not circular... JVC calls it "lenticular".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_lens

It's what I would call a "grating". So I'd guess it would focus a line rather
than a spot.

...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

I think you will find two layers, they come apart, one just lays over
the other, one is a grating the other will be a Fresnell lens. The
grating is on the viewing side the Fresnell is on the inside.
Be careful where you store it, I'll bet there has been a fire somewhere
from poor placement of a large Fresnell lens.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Hey Jim, did you find a Fresnell in the 55" tv?
Mikek