Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whoyakidding whoyakidding is offline

Default Tube cutting on lathe

On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:16:04 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I don't have a dry cut saw.

$265? Your time must be worth peanuts to even think of using a lathe
to avoid that expense.

The tube becomes the arbor hole by being press into a stack of wheel
brushes and rubber spacers using a 50 ton hydraulic press. Any
resistance from a burr or any other defect and the tube becomes an
accordion and is very difficult to recover the parts.

I can't believe you haven't already tried a wire wheel for deburring.
Seriously you should hire someone that has at least 3 months
experience at low tech fabrication to teach you the basics.

Most of the orders are for 4" and the company that cuts those for us
does a good job...the should, they charge $0.50 each!

Whoa! Man you're tighter than two coats of paint.

The orders for 2'
and 3" are very few by comparison but are a pain and we have to have a
skilled person do the job.

Skilled person to lop off tubing? Arf arf. It must be a hullabaloo
there when it comes time to change the filter in the shop vac.