Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tube cutting on lathe

On 5/10/2012 3:23 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
On 5/10/2012 12:09 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
We use 2" x .049 wall tube cut 4" and deburred. We also use three
shorter lengths but in small quantities. I usually get 200' and send it
out. For the short lengths, we cut the tube on a bandsaw then deburr
each end, inner and outer, in a lathe.

Would it work if I slide 1' pieces onto a mandrel in the lathe and used
a pizza cutter type wheel in the cross slide to part the tube? Kind of
like a pipe cutter.

You want to cut long pieces of tubing into 1 foot ones, then cut
those up
more on a lathe?

Do those pieces then get cut up again on some other machine?

The tubes come as 20 footers. Cutting it in the bandsaw is OK but slow
and the deburring is a bitch because the tube ends have to be very
well deburred because the tubes have to fit on a die, get one end
swagged then parts get stacked on and the other end gets swagged. The
finished product is a 4" wide x 8" to 10" dia. wire brush that fits on
a weed-whacker type machine that uses two of these brushes. It's
called a Power Broom.
http://www.wisesales.com/power-equip...wer-broom.html

Ok. It doesn't look like super high precision is required. Whack them
with an abrasive chop saw, and get/make an inside and outside reamer to
debur them. Seems like speed and overhead cost is the over riding factor
here.

I did make a tool out of a HHS square bit that had a "V" shape that
deburred the ID and the OD and trimmed the end square. I forgot all
about it, thanks for reminding me!