Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tube cutting on lathe

On 5/10/2012 11:33 AM, whoyakidding wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2012 10:48:45 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 May 2012 01:17:54 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 May 2012 20:03:45 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

What are you calling "dry cut"? Carbide saw blade??

Yeah like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYKnJA4vjI or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJeW...eature=related They're
the cat's ass for thin walled clean material and much more. It's my
preferred tool for chopping but I still use an abrasive for ugly
stuff.

I'm assuming the OP's tube is steel, since 049 is not a std alum wall.
If it WAS alum, I'd say 80 tooth 10" carbide blade.

Since it is apparently steel, I'd say abrasive. Unless dry cut is totally
different.

They do make a steel cutting circular saw blade, which I've never used, just
read about.
They seem to work well, but iirc, they aren't cheap -- or at HD.

The Northern model in the first video is $265.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6857_200326857 I
paid a little more for mine and I consider it one of my better
purchases.

Yeah, I don't understand all this lathe stuff either, unless it was a cnc
with a barfeed.

He seems determined to make it as difficult as possible. Jobs like his
are typically set up in half an hour and carried out by the lowest guy
in the shop. This discussion is another example of things taking
longer to talk about than to do.

The only thing I'd use the lathe for is facing, and only if that level of
finish/accuracy were req'd.
Then, while on the lathe, I"d deburr it. But only if the lathe were
necessary.

Have you noticed that we are being completely ignored by the OP?? LOL!!!!!

Well you know us dumb liberals. Too ****ing stupid to use a lathe and
a custom made pipe cutter attachment to cut thin walled stock. Wait
until he tries to lop off some square tubing in his lathe. That
discussion will go on for months.

Oh come now, politics is one thing, metalworking is another. We don't
usually mix the two here. If you like to argue politics, let's do it in
another thread. What subject do you have in mind? Meanwhile, thanks
for the advice on this topic.

I HAVE put square tube in a lathe using a 4-jaw chuck and a parting tool
to put a grove on the corners to accept a split ring as a semi-permanent
stop for a telescoping part. I chipped the tool a few times before I
got it right. I HATE parting tools!