Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tube cutting on lathe

On 5/10/2012 12:23 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2012 04:09:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
We use 2" x .049 wall tube cut 4" and deburred. We also use three
shorter lengths but in small quantities. I usually get 200' and send it
out. For the short lengths, we cut the tube on a bandsaw then deburr
each end, inner and outer, in a lathe.

Would it work if I slide 1' pieces onto a mandrel in the lathe and used
a pizza cutter type wheel in the cross slide to part the tube? Kind of
like a pipe cutter.

You want to cut long pieces of tubing into 1 foot ones, then cut those up
more on a lathe?

Do those pieces then get cut up again on some other machine?

bigger question - is it a big-assed lathe that you can feed the 2"
pipe through the spindle? Would definitely simplify things if it is.
In my last post I was ASSuming that was the case.

Hmm, it's a Reed Prentice and I think two inch WILL fit!
(here's the finished product
http://www.wisesales.com/power-equip...wer-broom.html