Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Tube cutting on lathe

"whoyakidding" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 May 2012 20:03:45 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Or, an abrasive wheel on a RAS/chop saw, using a stop. Quick too.

I'd use a dry cut saw with a stop. With care you wouldn't even have to
tighten the vise although some sort of lever or wedge used as a quick
clamp might be nice. Maybe 5 seconds per cut. Hardly any burr but
maybe another 10 seconds per end against a wire wheel in a bench
grinder to knock the sharp corners off. I can't believe that anyone
would even consider using a lathe to make or deburr cuts like that.
Kids these days.

I wouldn't even bother with a vise.
With any length of tube and a tube stand, just hold the tube by hand while
you feed in the RAS with an abrasive wheel, or on the chop saw. The tube,
with 049 wall, won't distort at all, with an abrasive wheel.

Mebbe just a cupla seconds with a deburring tool, some emory or scotchbrite.

I cut 1.25 solid round, 2" sq tube (1/8 wall) all the time on a RAS, just
holding the stuff by hand.

Yeah, I don't understand all this lathe stuff either, unless it was a cnc
with a barfeed.
--
EA