Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Tube cutting on lathe

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
We use 2" x .049 wall tube cut 4" and deburred. We also use three shorter
lengths but in small quantities. I usually get 200' and send it out. For
the short lengths, we cut the tube on a bandsaw then deburr each end,
inner and outer, in a lathe.

Would it work if I slide 1' pieces onto a mandrel in the lathe and used a
pizza cutter type wheel in the cross slide to part the tube? Kind of like
a pipe cutter.

How bout just a parting tool in the lathe? Should make really quick work
AND give a nicer cut.
Tubing cutters are a pita, imo.

Or, an abrasive wheel on a RAS/chop saw, using a stop. Quick too.
--
EA